Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Struggling/need some tips for feeling better.
Anon_182155 posted:
I suffered anorexia in high school my senior year and lost too much weight, walking skeleton. I even went as far as getting breast implants when I was 18. Now I am in recovery but have had many obsticals such as being diagnosed with Lupus, among other life-long medical challenges. (None stemming from the eating disorder). Currently I am unable to work out because of an injury and I am feeling very bad. Plus I am on new meds that make me sick to my stomach. All in all, a bad time.

I've put on weight and am healthy for my height (6'1) but I have several problems that have been causing me to get down on my body since I've had to go shopping for some new clothes recently. I am on the lower end of my healthy weight scale, but due to my height, broad shoulders, large (implants) breasts and naturally wide hip bone structure I often have to buy sizes in a larger and then belt them in the waist or have them altered in certain places since they're too loose in some areas. I know that I should not lose weight, and there's nothing I can do about my broad shoulders. I've always had a typical hourglass figure, even before my surgery. I can literally see my hip bones and such, because of my natural bone structure I am considered 'Curvy', but it appears that the word 'curvy' is a euphemism for 'plus size' and overweight since when I went shopping, they have plus size women much bigger than me (which is saying something since I have a disordered image of my body and often think I am bigger than I actually am) with the word 'curvy' to label the catagory. I used to feel good about that word, but now it's turning into something I hate and is making me ashamed. I am unable to find clothes that fit, which makes me think I'm fat, even though I know that I'm not (since others tell me so to remind me since they know of my problem) and I am struggling on not falling back into old unhealthy patterns.

I try to rationalize and tell myself the facts about why my body is the way it is, but it's starting to become harder. Especially since I am forcing myself to get back into buying regular clothes (for a long time I just wore men's hoodies and sweats since I wanted to hide my body out of shame) but I know that I should challenge myself and keep moving forward, it's just getting me down.

Any tips on feeling better? And why does the media/fashion industry have to be so divided? Any advice would help. I usually try to distract myself but due to having to remain more sedentary and having difficult mobility because of my leg brace, my usual coping skills are diminished.

-thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i I'm 24 from Brooklyn New York I would like to start by saying that I always been an nice guys used to be very shy around people and timid when I...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.