Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low BMI of 13 ... need help!
alecompte8 posted:
I have been struggling with digestive issues since I entered high school. I am female. My family doctor simply diagnosed me with Irritable Bowel Syndrome when I was 17. In high school I was usually a healthy weight because I was in many sports and always worked out and maintained muscle mass. Now that I am 22 and am no longer as active, I am severely underweight and can't seem to gain a pound! My BMI is 13! I recently had my gallbladder removed because I lost so much weight and completely lost my appetite. Turns out my gallbladder wasn't working at all and was septic. I had gone to my family doctor before going see a surgeon about my gallbladder, and my family doctor proceeded to tell me he thought I was just depressed and that by putting me on an anti-depressant I should get my appetite back and gain weight. I have tried Lexapro and Prestique... both gave me insomnia and I didn't feel any difference. However, after I got my gallbladder out, I expected to see some weight gain... but I have even lost some weight 6 months after the surgery... even though my appetite is back. I went to see my family doctor again and he AGAIN disregarded all my other situations and suggested that "Before I can get better, I must admit that I have a problem". I admit that I am a college student, and I can become stressed. I am still active, and I do not believe I am losing this weight because I am depressed. I know that I need to gain weight, but I don't know how... and I am also planning a wedding and getting married in April 2012. I would like to put on some muscle mass to look decent for my wedding and not look anorexic! Anyone have any suggestions??? Anyone ever struggled with a similar situation??

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Alecompte,

You may want to consider getting a doctor who hears you and will work with you all through this and sends you to the right specilalists to help you.

Have you seen a dietitian and do you journal your foods? That might be a good step too.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, I'm Liz. :) I'm a self-employed dancer and real estate agent born, raised, and living in Las Vegas. I'm a tiny (4' 11") Ital...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.