Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A MALE with ED
An_240781 posted:
In highschool I decided that I needed to lose weight at only 17 years old. It was tough but after eating so little, after a few weeks I felt as though I had the best will power ever. I would literally never eat anything fried or loaded with simple carbs. At first I was really proud of myself and I couldn't help but like that people were noticing that I was losing weight. It got out of hand after a while. My life became consumed with calorie counting and skipping an entire meal if I ate something questionable. My workouts began to consume my life. I felt terrible if I didn't finish my routine. If I had to miss a workout, I would make it up on the weekened or even when it came time to eat. I would not go out if it interfered with my routine. I dropped down from 163 to 120lbs in about six months. I was literally weighing myself everyday! It was so crazy that I knew exactly how many pounds to subtract because of a full stomach. People were starting to notice that something might be wrong. I would got out and eat with my friends and they thought i was weird for being a guy who would refuse to eat things like pizza and simply foods guys should eat. My life was being consumed with my thoughts on food. I would plan meals for the week and if I was eating out with family, then that would completely ruin my plan so I would just refuse to eat anything to punish myself for going out. I thought I was in control because of my discipline to refuse junk food but in the end it seemed as if it had control of me. I coudn't talk to my friends because it just wasn't normal for guys to have this problem. I think my family might of known that I was crazy about food, but I doubt that they knew there was an actual problem here. This went on for about two years. I figured the rest of my life would be like this. Today I would consider myself in remission. The reason is a little surprising and might be controversial and although today I am ashamed of it, I completely believed it saved my life. Being college students led us to the usual experiments. We tried marijuana for the first time. Of course, the 'munchies' came. It was difficult to refuse food while in that state of mind. The next day, once again, i would punish myselft for binging on all the junk food. Over time, my 'sickness' vanished. I was eating everything imaginable although I wasn't partaking in the college lifestyle anymore. Believe me, i'm not preaching about marijuana or anything. About two months ago my dad told me that my face was looking chubby... if only he knew the mistake he had made with that simple comment. I'm returning to my old ways. I've started the ridiculous workout routines, along with the calorie counting and food restriction. I don't know where I'm going from here because I can't return to marijuana because of my career choice. I want to lose weight of course but im afraid to slip back into the hands of anorexia. There is no doubt that being a little obsessive compulsive leads the way to these disorders. Like i said before, I wish i could talk to a male who knew what I was going through. I would like to hear anybody's input.

Take the Poll

What might be some signs of a male with an eating disorder?
  • Food restriction
  • No break in workout routines
  • Comments about their body
  • Weight loss
  • All of the Above
vote
View Poll Results

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

Thank you for sharing all that with us here. It's a good reminder to all that males are also impacted by eating disorder and we should all keep that in mind.

I really encourage you to consider counseling. You're very self-aware and that may help you get the support you need in combating this and all the thinking that goes around it. You will need to work on developing a healthier relationship with food so it's not all or nothing.

As you are in college, I hope they have some health services to start with and/or see your doctor, and don't let anyone dismiss your real need because you happen to be a male.

I hope, too, that you can eventually talk with your parents about this, at least to some extent, so that comments like that are avoided and they can support you.

Also, look for free support groups in your area. While they may be made up of mostly females, it still may help you.

And keep talking here if it helps.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Spotlight: Member Stories

i hate my life! I"LL ALWAYS HATE MY LIFE!!!!

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.