Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do you ever free yourself completely from an eating disorder?
ItsLily posted:
Hello everyone,

I suffered from anorexia when I was 18 ; i went to see a psychologist for several years and I then stopped as I had to move away from my home town. I also realised my anorexia had been triggered by other things in my life that I couldn't control and that was why I turned to controlling food.

I am now 27 and I am anxious to see that my old ways are kind of back...I have been feeling very anxious and guilty when I missed my gym session, I count the calories I eat in a day, I weigh myself daily and I get quite agressive/ in a bad mood when I feel I've eaten something too 'unhealthy'.

I have been wondering for a while: when you have suffered from an eating disorder at some point in your life, can you ever manage to free yourself completely from it? Or will it always be a life-long struggle, with its highs and lows?
Even if i know what triggers my anxiety and the reasons that i try to control what I eat, I feel it doesn't really help me anymore.

I went to see a therapist again 6 months ago but i felt stupid talking about how i control my food, as i already knew why.

Thank you to everyone willing to share their experience and thoughts.

scarlettmae responded:
Hi...I am stuggling with my anorexia again, too. I think our tendency toward our eating disorder is something that will remain with us for the rest of our lives. Unfortunately, food is all around us, and even more unfortunately, we need to food to survive! What a catch 22!

You are not alone...I've struggled with this for years. When stress gets particularly high I tend to revert back to the comfort of restricting. I spent 3 months in the hospital in 2009 because of this disorder.

We have to try and follow what we know to be true....not what our sick minds tell us....not what we think we see in the mirror...we have to always be vigilant.

I want to be more than my anorexia...more than the "girl with the eating disorder"....

Spotlight: Member Stories

i I'm 24 from Brooklyn New York I would like to start by saying that I always been an nice guys used to be very shy around people and timid when I...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.