Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unnamed Phobia - DISGUST w/ Eating Generally
mcw81 posted:
Hello,

I have looked up a problem I have and cannot find information on it. I think it may be a very unique "phobia," if you can call it that. It's an eating problem, but it does NOT relate to any worries about weight, health, choking, or appearance. I don't have any problems with my sense of taste. I think it MAY relate to depression, but in a very unique way:

I find I am OFTEN unable to eat--even when I'm hungry!--simply because the act of eating itself is absolutely disgusting and abhorrent to me. Putting food into my mouth, crunching it around to a disgusting pulp, sitting there, like a stupid monkey, chewing food--I simply cannot deal with this!! It makes me feel primitive, disgusting, monkey-like, and perhaps worst of all--completely trapped by this process for the rest of my life. It's so embarrassingly human--I feel I might as well sit at the table with someone and go to the bathroom together. Why not--we're already sitting there revolving mush around in our mouths like idiots, and when someone says, "mmmm!" I'm about ready to vomit. When I see people eating on TV, I have to look away. I have to eat alone, because I can't stand being around other people eating. A single crunching sound makes my skin crawl and can kill my whole appetite. It doesn't matter at all what the taste of the food is, though I find I can stomach soup or liquids better because they don't require crunching. When I eat, it's a fast as possible; I am so anxious to get it over with. Looking at other people in a restaurant makes me anxious, depressed, and angry: we're all a bunch of monkeys stuck with the same stupid problem to deal with EVERY single day. I can't take it, and I look at food in front of me--even if I'm STARVING!--with such disgust I sometimes cannot pick it up and put in my mouth.

Outside of feeding myself with an IV drip, what in the world do I do about this?? There's no info online, and my problem seems to circumvent the usual eating problems you might have in tandem with anxieties or mental health issues. Help!!

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mcw,

While you're waiting for responses here, try also posting your message on our Anxiety and Panic Community . The expert there, Dr. Farrell, may have some ideas for you.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm Emma, just your usual type of teen girl....but just on the surface. Of course, i go to school, love sports, eat healthy, have a big family...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful