Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Irregular Heartbeat
JustAnotherGirl83 posted:
Hi folks, new to this particular community. That said I'll give just a little background info. I started purging when I was 18/19, during my first year at University. That lasted for about 6 months or so, off and on (enough to qualify for a diagnosis had anyone known, not as much or as often as of late). I managed to stop on my own and only 'relapsed' every so often over the next 10 years (am 28 now), nothing huge, and not over any really extended period of time.

This past year I have been engaging more in restrictive type behaviors and other inappropriate compensatory methods with the occasional binge and or purge here or there. More recently (the last couple months, especially the last 4 or 5 weeks), what with my @#$%ing therapist kicking me to the curb (long story and I'm already long winded) I have been doing a LOT of binging and purging. We're talking a couple times a day, at least half the week.

Over the last couple (few? may be more than two) days I have noticed my heart acting funny. Not the sort of flutter you sometimes get from too much caffeine or something like that. It's more like it beats merrily on for a bit and then decides 'Oh, wait a minute' and sort of pauses for a count or two, like it's just taking a breather or something, and then continues on. Any ideas?

And just a side note, I'm not sure my doctor knows about this particular behavior. He is aware of others (I'm borderline and like most others I tend to engage in some form of self injury) but if he has any suspicions re:an eating disorder he has said nothing to me.

OK, thanks for your time.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi JustAnotherGirl,

It sounds like you need to talk with your doctor about two things... the heart issue and the restrictive behavior. The more information he has, the more he'll be able to address your concerns.

I am sorry about your therapist and hope you are looking to find another one.

Keep talking here if it helps.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

JustAnotherGirl83 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
  • sigh* If only it were as easily done as it is said. I know I got myself in to this mess so I should just bite the bullet and get on with it... but it's not that easy. I'm very ashamed of all of this *shrug* *blush*

Anyway thanks for the response Caprice, I appreciate it.
  •  
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to JustAnotherGirl83's response:
    I understand.

At least you're talking here... that's a step.
    You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, I'm Liz. :) I'm a self-employed dancer and real estate agent born, raised, and living in Las Vegas. I'm a tiny (4' 11") Ital...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
    WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
    Was this Helpful?
    8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.