Skip to content
Struggling
msjess17 posted:
Hey its been a long time since I have had to post. I have been doing really good eating healthy and exercising a healthy amount. Recently however my co-workers have started diets and I am struggling because they are all make comments about my eating. They tell me I am eating too much and make comments about what I eat. I am eating healthy but their comments are getting in my head and I am starting to have guilt about eating and wanting to constantly exercise to loose more and more calories. It is really testing me because that is kinda what started me down this horrible path years ago/family friends and all others were constantly making comments about my weight and food I ate. I have been honest w/ my co-workers and told them I struggle with eating disorders but they dont seem to realize how bad it is and negative comments really cause me to struggle w/ it worse than usual.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am appalled that, despite them being made aware that you struggle with eating disorders, they continue to make comments. It sounds like you may need to be firmer with them and/or find some information online you can share with them.

I hope that others here will have some ideas for you.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Anon_3114 responded:
This probably sounds extreme, but look for work elsewhere, if you can. Or go to HR with a complaint and see if you can get these people to realize the effect of what they're saying to you.

It could be thoughtlessness on their end, because dieting is hugely in their minds they're forcing their own issues onto you. I'm not saying that excuses it, I'm just encouraging you not to take what they're saying to heart.

I know, easier said than done, but really. It's short-sighted people being insensitive, it's not a real commentary on you or on your lifestyle. You've gone through the hell of ED before, and you've gone through it a healthier person. You see the results of your good choices, your healthy skin, nails and hair, clear eyes and your ability to eat food and work out in a healthy way. You have gone through Hell, and you are on the other side a stronger person. Sometimes, people who don't struggle don't see how harsh their words can be to someone who has.

(gentle hugs)

I, too, am disgusted that they would be so callous. I'm sorry you are called on by life to once again be strong, and to overcome, but you can. You can!

What helped you overcome ED before? Therapy, friends? Seek out what has helped you in the past, and reaffirm the strength you've already shown.

msjess17 replied to Anon_3114's response:
Thank u everyone for such encouraging words. I am grateful I have this community to turn to. I have started talking more about my eating issues. Today someone took the time to ask me about my problems. I explained that eating disorders do not always start that way in the beginning, for me it started slow with exercise then more and more and eating less and less. That seemed to help a little It was also a huge step for me because I do not share with others easily about any aspect of my life so it felt good to explain myself to my co-workers. Again thanks for the advise it was well received.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi everyone i am new here and is in need of some kind of support or advise. I'm a 20 year old college student and is suffering from bulimia. I fee...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.