Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My son has bulimia, help!!
momcaresforu posted:
Hi, My 16 year old son told me he has bulimia last night. One of his friends convinced him to tell me and I'm glad he did. But now I don't know what to do! I am reading everything I can about bulimia so I can help. Has anyone been to cognitive behavioral therapy? If so, did it help?

An_246002 responded:
would get him into theray asap. he may need inpatient treatment. it is very difficult to support someone with an eating disorder. but it is so important to have patience and love and understanding. there will be so many times when you may want to give up if he is very severe. teenagers are hard. My best friend took her life last year and she was severly bulimic, her parents wish desperately im sure, that they would have been more compasionate. i admire your enthusiasm to seek help and educate yourself! you are a good mom.

sarahashley1211 responded:
I''ve suffered from bulimia for a long time. I've never been to a therapist but I can offer what help I can.

I know for me I am less likely to binge/purge if there is only health food around. My parents had control over when and what I would drive as well so I couldn't buy the food to binge and purge (now it is a lack of money keeping me from it). If you keep only health food he might be less likely to b/p. I'd also restrict his ability to drive so he cannot buy the food. Encourage healthy eating, always be there for him, never stop loving him, and pray. ED are hell and so hard to overcome. I hope he will recover fully. I'll be prayin' for him!
Its not the little things in life that define you but the big things. We all make mistakes but those of us who refuse to give up are the hope of those with no hope. Help those in need. Spread hope.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i'm 23 and a senior at a university. i'm looking for people who understand me that i can talk to who won't judge me for the chaos that goe...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.