Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My friend has bulimia, how can I help...
An_242214 posted:
I cant physically be there for her... And I know not to force her being anorexic... But is there anything I can say that'll help? She abuses laxatives to get skinny which really makes me worry, but Is probably better than vomiting If that helps. Suggestions?

Take the Poll

Would you know what to do?
  • No, I have a different ED and do not know how handle this.
  • Yes, I'm bulimic and know what to do.
  • Yes, I have an ED and know what to do
  • Yes, I don't have an ED but can imagine how she feels
  • No, I do not have an ED and would not know what to do
vote
View Poll Results

LackingCommonSense responded:
Laxatives and vomiting are equally dangerous. Both lead to dehydration and an disturbances of electrolytes which can be damaging to your friend, and things like her heart.

When she vomits, or uses laxatives her body would loose many electrolytes but i particular it would be loosing potassium - if this level drops too low it can play havoc with her heart - her heart rhythm can fall out of it's normal pattern. It can end up being fatal if the levels are that disordered.

I can understand if you you feel you are not able to be there for your friend. It is very draining for either a sufferer or a onlooker. However if you do need to step back from the caring role I would encourage you at first to talk to your friend and encourage she seek help. It will be normal that she denies the need for it - saying that she is fine - doesn't need it - and things alone those lines - but the truth is she does need it. She is out of control and she is scared to admit it. Her eating disorder is talking to her and is very loud and is not prepared to give up control as yet.

Depending on her age you need to let someone else know before you step back - whether that be a teacher if she is at school - or her parents if she is older. There is a good chance she may really be angry wit you for a while but eventually when she is in treatment and is getting better she will thank you for it.

I currently have anorexia nervosa and have been quite unwell again for 12 months - as a result I am no longer able to work, my relationship with my family is terrible, , there is a good chance that I will have to sell the house my husband and I are currently payign off. I am due to go back into hospital on Monday. I wish someone stood up and fought for me sooner. Maybe things woudln't have gotten to this point.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i hate my life! I"LL ALWAYS HATE MY LIFE!!!!

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.