Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I physically stop my daughter from vomiting?
An_246655 posted:
Last night, my 17 year old daughter revealed she had bulimia. Tomorrow morning I plan to call different treatment centers and get her in therapy right away. But what about today? Should I restrain her from vomiting? Do I follow her around all day and keep an eye on her?
Now that I'm writing the questions it doesn't seem like I should do that at all but I would love to hear from professionals, bulimics and parents to see what they have done.
Thank you

PrInCeSsInNY responded:
The WORST thing you could do is try to control her bulimia, ESPECIALLY when she admitted the problem to you. I understand that you want to protect her, but there are better ways to do it than others. Definitely have her see a counselor, maybe psychiatrist for meds, and a nutritionist. BUT one at a time and at a SLOW pace! Remember that eating disorders are about control not about food. It's a longggg road but recovery is possible..the sooner the better. I hope this helps

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im a seventeen year old feshmen in college. Im a psych major, and i want to study EDs more than anything. Maybe oneday we'll have a legitamate tre...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.