Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hair loss?
An_246773 posted:
Hello. Does anyone else with anorexia have hair loss? For the past like month, I find hair all over the place. It has gotten to the point that I'm petrified any time I brush or wash my hair. Is there any way to stop it? Well besides the obvious way. I even tried anti-breakage shampoo. Thanks.

PrInCeSsInNY responded:
I wish I had a good answer for you but I have exactly the same issue AND the same fears about brushing/washing my hair. Actually I came on here to ask the same question! Hopefully someone has an answer for you

PetuniaPea replied to PrInCeSsInNY's response:
I'm vegan, so I have to be very conscious about getting the right vitamins and nutrients so I don't lose my hair!

I have a rice protein/non-dairy milk/banana smoothie every morning, because protein is essential for preventing hair loss.

Another big vitamin to prevent hair loss is biotin. I usually get this in supplement form...sometimes I'll get a sublingual one that's a sweet berry flavor...Twinlab has some good biotin supplements. B-12 is also important for hair growth...again, I like taking a sublingual tablet like Jarrow's vitamin brand.

According to this article I just found, there are 16 vitamin deficiencies that can lead to hair loss. A good thing to do is to take a multivitamin with all of these nutrients...BUT in order for some of the vitamins to work, they need to be taken with a bit of food...and it's best if that food contains a bit of fat. http://progressivehealth.hubpages.com/hub/16-Vitamin-Deficiencies-that-Lead-to-Hair-Loss

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, I'm Liz. :) I'm a self-employed dancer and real estate agent born, raised, and living in Las Vegas. I'm a tiny (4' 11") Ital...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.