Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'm trying to find the term for an eating disorder for rare body image issue.
juslilolme posted:
When I look up body image issues, they all pretty much talk about seeing yourself larger then what you really are. However, a few years ago a singer talked about a body image issue she had where she saw herself a lot smaller than what she actually was. So, she was under the impression that she looked healthy, but was in fact severely overweight. I suffer from this. I see myself as "voluptuous" but when I actually see pictures of myself, I actually am several times larger than what I see myself. Has anyone else heard of this disorder? I appreciate all of the help that I can get.

Oopsla responded:
Some form of narcissism? I'd rather have a positive image of myself and then work on the flaws rather then see myself as flawed and feel bad about myself.

Another term that you might want to investigate is body dysmorphia.

Remember I am only a peer and not some authority on these matters.

Fanci7 responded:
Body dysmorphia is a type of mental illness where the affected person is concerned with their body image. The person has an excessive concern about and preoccupation with a perceived defect of their physical features. The person thinks they have a defect in either one feature or several features of their body, which causes psychological distress that causes clinically significant distress or impairs occupational or social functioning. Often body dysmorphia co-occurs with emotional depression and anxiety, social withdrawal or social isolation. Body dysmorphia is linked to a diminished quality of life. Body dysmorphia can be treated with psychotherapy. Although originally a mental-illness diagnosis usually applied to women, Body Dysmorphic Disorder occurs equally among men and women, and occasionally in children and older adults.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 41, a mother of 3 beautiful daughters and 3 wonderful granddaughters and the wife of a wonderful husband who loves me no matter what. I am obese,...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.