Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A long term habit of one meal a day?
Not12Quit5 posted:
for well over 10 years now, I rarely eat more than once a day, usually iIin the evening. This has not caused any issues in terms of general hhealth, and my yearly health, and blood tests have been fine.

My wife and doctor have expressed concern, early on, but in the past few years they both see this as my body's method of nutriion, and since it is not causing any complications, that it is fine.

I am a General carpenter with a very active and often physically demanding work life that provides plenty of exercise. I am also a bit "overwheight" for my hieght 6'1", 220 lbs, but a lot of that is "muscle" with perhaps 15-20 lbs of "stomach fat. My optimum wheight has always been 190-200 as I have been 6'1 ince I was 19.

I wonder if I have just adpapted to an eating disorder, or is the one meal a day all that is necessary for my body. I also wonder how I can become overwheight? I do no "snack" except one or twice a week I may indudge in a chocolate bar, or bag of chips. I also do not drink, except for the occasional glass of wine with a weekend meal. I hat the tast of most liqcuours, and was a beer drinker early on, but in past couple of years I would be pussing it if I had more that thre or four beer during a months time.

Oopsla responded:
One meal a day is not a disorder. Be happy about that.

What I guess is happening is that each meal you have is just a few calories too many. You are just getting that slow creep of weight gain. Just eat slightly less.

The disadvantage to 1 meal a day is that I thought I read it is harder to get your needed nutritional requirements. Something about one meal pushing through your system doesn't allow the trace elements to be absorbed as easily. Take a multi if you are not. When you eat that 1 meal. Try eating it slower then normal as another thing with one meal is if you gulf through it you may be eating more then needed before you realize it.

Best of luck to you.

Fanci7 responded:
Food is Fuel. Eating just once a day puts you at risk of developing health complications. Many health professionals, including those at the American Academy of Family Physicians, recommend eating regularly throughout the day.
A series of chemical reactions drive your metabolism, and the food you eat keeps your metabolism going. When you eat just one meal a day, cholesterol in your bloodstream can rise. A study published in the April 2007 edition of the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" examined the effect of one meal a day vs. three. The researchers found that the healthy participants who ate a single meal a day had increased blood pressure and total cholesterol and a decreased cortisol concentration. Cortisol, a steroid hormone, causes your body to send more glucose into your bloodstream when you are under stress. Over the long term, a slow metabolism can cause a heart rhythm abnormality, which could be fatal. Eating one meal a day causes high levels of glucose in your bloodstream. This in turn, leads to diabetes. You also run the risk of failing to get adequate nutrition. ... Nobody said these meals have to be huge meals.. Breakfast.. a piece of fruit, a slice of toast and a cup of milk. Lunch.. a half sandwich or a salad, some cheese crackers and a piece of fruit.. Fuel..

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi everyone i am new here and is in need of some kind of support or advise. I'm a 20 year old college student and is suffering from bulimia. I fee...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful