Skip to content
How to get to a healthy weight without relapsing
Gabriellaesther posted:
Hi there WebMD community,

I'm new to the site, but I'm looking for some positive body image support and some thoughts on a recent struggle. I recovered from Binge Eating and other disordered eating habits about 2 years ago. That isn't to say that I don't still struggle - it's a never ending balance between being health mentally and being healthy physically. I feel that right now I am pulled in two different directions: In order to recover, I had to accept weight gain and believe that if I treated myself well and ate healthily I would end up in the right place for my body. But by now I have gained about 60 lbs (not that the number matters) and my back is starting to hurt and I'm feeling sluggish. I don't believe that this is the weight my body wants to be at. But I'm afraid to do anything about it because I never want to go back to obsessing about my body and about food or exercise.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this challenge? How would I lose weight healthily when losing weight used to be the bane of my existence and caused so much emotional strife?

Sharia responded:
I am in the same place you are. I recovered from an eating disorder about five years ago, but now I am overweight. I need to loose about 15 pounds and would like to loose more, but I'm afraid that beginning a diet without the support of friends or family will restart my eating disorder. I never want to return to the mental/spiritual/physical state I was in when I was thirteen. Hands down, that was the worst time in my life. I think the thing that played a major role in my recovery was my baby sister. She was three and I was thirteen, and I realized that I was her role model. I don't know if I would have started eating again if it hadn't been for her. Now she's ten. I'm 20, about to go to college, start my new life, and I'm overweight. My 7th grade teacher,(Who also suffered from an eating disorder,) told me that here is always a part of anorexia that stays with you. She was a great mentor and friend, and I think that what she told me was true. I don't want my impressionable sister to think that dieting is the way to go, but I am also afraid that I will fall into old habits once I leave home and no longer have the security blanket of my little sister's watchful eyes. I wish I could begin a healthier lifestyle in the safety net of my family, but I don't want them to worry about me, so I don't see that happening.

Well, there are my thoughts. I can't find the balance either, and I wish I could. Is there a psychologist or nutritionist that would have any advice for us?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My eating disorder started as far back as I can remember, even as a 5 year old child, I was obsessed with desserts and snack foods, food hoarding, and...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.