Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Developing an eating disorder, please help?
chapmmel posted:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is even worth asking or talking about.

But I'm starting to fear I am developing an eating disorder.

In January of this year, 2013, I weighed 130lbs and I'm 5'5". I hated my body, thought it was disgusting and I was very unhappy.

Since then I've lost quite a lot of weight to the point now that I'm 100lbs. I started feeling good about myself, but my parents and friends are starting to point it out.

"Oh my god ! You've lost so much weight!"

I was happy, I was. But now I'm started to build huge anxiety whenever I visit my parents and its meal time. The thought of me gaining weight again is absolutely terrifying.

I can't eat though, I do and then I regret it.

All my clothes don't fit and I don't want to buy new ones in fear that if I get big again, they won't fit and I'll be even more upset.

My boyfriend is trying to slowly encourage me to eat more but I can't.

I'm sorry if I sound super pathetic. I am just freaking out right now and have no where else really to vent to because everyone I know doesn't understand.

I'm sorry. I just don't know what to do. I keep having terrible thoughts of how to avoid eating tomorrow, and excuses I can give.

glitterandglam responded:
Hey there! I'm glad you've acknowledged that you're concerned you may be developing an eating disorder. As someone who's struggled with one for just about 9 years (it started out shortly after I turned 18, and I turned 27 in May) and is currently in IOP (Intensive Out-Patient) and DBT therapy, it definitely sounds like you are and your concerns are not to be ignored, nor taken lightly.

I had many similar thoughts and behaviors when my disorder first crept up on me. I spent about six years in denial, convincing myself that I didn't have a problem, it wasn't THAT big of a deal, living in the mindset of, "I'll get help when I want to. "026I just don't want to yet!", etc. I spent six years lying to myself and being in denial about my disorder when I could have been getting help for it. I basically lost six years of my life because I was living in my own stubborn mindset.

I really give you props for reaching out now, and I REALLY hope you'll talk to your family about your concerns that you shared here, and see a doctor. Getting into therapy ASAP can be a huge factor in how long you'll be living with an eating disorder, and when you'll be in recovery.

I personally don't believe E/D's can ever be 'cured' or 'go away'. BUT, with the proper treatment and if you work hard, are honest with yourself and your therapist, you can live a life in recovery and win the battle.

Try to find a therapist who is licensed in and specialized in treating eating disorders and body image disorders. The sooner you seek help, the sooner you'll be healthy again and have your life back and be in control of your life, vs. the disorder controlling your life. I speak from experience.

Be honest. I know it can be VERY hard, but that is the most important part of therapy -- being 100% honest and open. If you're not comfortable with the first therapist you see after a few sessions, don't hesitate to try someone new. Sometimes you just don't 'click' with a therapist for whatever the reason may be. When you find the right person, you'll know. I personally find it's easiest for me to talk with therapists who are also women and only about 5-10 years older than me. It's just easier do me to talk with them. My current therapist fits that description and she's been extremely helpful in my treatment thus far.

Wishing you the very best of luck! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you find helpful resources or just need someone to talk to. Take care and work on getting healthy again.

-- Liz

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm Emma, just your usual type of teen girl....but just on the surface. Of course, i go to school, love sports, eat healthy, have a big family...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.