Skip to content

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
how many laps have you had?
ohbrandy posted:
girls im just wondering how many laps you've had and the time frame between them?

I had mine last April and my doc really effed it up. She wasn't great. i'm suspecting my new doc is going to want to do a lap but I didn't know if theres a wait time between.
Deuce!

Angie22PR responded:
Well I had 3... 4 to 5 years appart. I really hope you dont have to another one so soon. I do know that laps offer some pain relief to some (me included) but it also can create more adhesions, and as simple as it might seem it is still surgery.

hollyri replied to Angie22PR's response:
3 laparoscopies

My first 2 were 7 months apart (with Lupron in between, and there was endo again in the one immediately after Lupron).

My 3rd was almost 3 years after that.

It's been nearly 5 years since my last surgery.

All were excision. I guess the last one finally did the trick. Plus, I went on bcp about a year after that, so that helped a lot too.

brandib01 responded:
hey deuce.

i have only had one so far but that is only because i have been making the doc hold off on my second . and i was pg for awhile lol. but he was ready to go back in 2 months after my m/c but we made him wait to try the IUI's.

he doesn't like doing a bunch of surgeries. he said women aren't pin cushions but he was excited that i got pg so he was ready to try again.
i would say if you can wait at least a year between laps at minimum that way you have time to heal fomr the first and make an attempt at an alternate treatment..

glad to see you on. haven't heard from you lately lol..and your crazy texts
Brandi 27dx'ed.infertile06'w/male factor also-first lap 09'endo stageIV/PCOS/2-m/c08'09'my angels hormone deficient 7 rounds of clomid~~co admin..

ohbrandy replied to brandib01's response:
have been insanely busy now that im a pharmacy tech. people get bitchy when they dont get their meds! lol. i could be completely wrong and she may not want to do one at all. but im thinking she may want to because she fears the first doc didnt do a good job last year...and BC isnt working for me, and I don't want to do Lupron.
Deuce!

martiesgurl responded:
Hey Deuce- Glad to see you!!!!!

I have only had one lap and it wasn't excision (sp?) it was the original cut and burn (haha, not funny but what do you do but laugh??!!!) I need another one cuz my doc wasn't very educated on endo and I don't believe he helped me at all, I think he made me worse but I also have suspected adeno so that cud be why I got worse. Also, he didn't check my bladder or bowel for endo... But I have been to many obs who have all said that surgeries should be at least 2 years apart unless absolutely necessary. I hope all is well and that your doc works for you!

*Sadie

ohbrandy replied to martiesgurl's response:
mine was ablation also....another reason i think she wants to go in and look around.
Deuce!

endo2002 responded:
I have had one ablation surgery for endo and that was 9 years ago. I will be having the excision surgery in April.

I would agree with everyone a yr to 2 yrs is your best beat.
Tabitha

Julendo responded:
I have only had one, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 38, and by then it was at Stage IV. That was 4 years ago.

My doctor now wants me to see a GI doctor to see if the endometriosis has penetrated my intestines, in which case she thinks I should get a hysterectomy and I presume also get the endo removed from my intestines--the GI doc would have to do that, as it would mean removing part of the bowel. I don't want to get surgery again though--I told her I would take the endo over menopause as long as it's not going to kill me. I despised menopause when I was on Lupron and I'd rather put it off as long as humanly possible:).

BrittneyisaMommy replied to Julendo's response:
just one... i am the one who is like cut me open and get this junk off while my doc is like pain again. hmm lets try something else. which is fine i cant be laid up in the hospital all the time either. but man would i like to have one...
Mommy to a 2 year old little girl and a 1 year old little boy. Diagnosed with Endo. after DS was born. Three M/C 9/2010, 11/2010,

BrittneyisaMommy replied to BrittneyisaMommy's response:
ps i find that sad that i talk about it like its a cocktail
Mommy to a 2 year old little girl and a 1 year old little boy. Diagnosed with Endo. after DS was born. Three M/C 9/2010, 11/2010,

martiesgurl replied to BrittneyisaMommy's response:
Hey Brit,
It's okay that you talk about having surgery so lightly but so seriously at the same time. When my insurance ended and I couldn't have anymore Lupron, I felt like a crack addict who would of done almost anything for that shot. And the way I feel when I hurt and have no pain pills, I always feel like if I lived in a big city, I would buy them illegaly.... so it's sad but the truth is, we struggle and it's not our fault hun.

christyleigh123 responded:
Hi! I know that you originally posted this quite a while back, but I just joined the community & felt the urge to reply! I've had 3 laps since 2006 & I never would've had the that first one done if I had not begged the doctor to do surgery! I went into that surgery praying that they'd find something wrong since up until that time I think they all believed that I was imaging all this pain! After the surgery she told me that I had stage 3 endo - something I'd already figured out from doing research on the internet! I've changed doctors since then - had 2 more laps <all of this took place in texas> & now I'm back in Louisiana with my "real" gyno! I call him that because he is my mom's doctor, he delivered my sister 30 yrs ago & he was the first ob/gyn that I went to when I was 16!

The dr that did my first lap should've actually done it about 6 months prior to when she actually performed it & I believe that her waiting those few months before she actually went in only made my case worse! I've been on the depo shot & while no period means no cramps the other side effects were horrendous! After the shot, I got on Seasonique & it really helped a lot, but I have no insurance & the script costs $300! I'm back on monthly BC, but with a period comes the cramps that knock me off my feet for 3 days! Following the laps, my cramps never eased! Prior to my first lap the only response I got after pleading for medicinal help with my cramps was to take ibuprofen & that was the same response I got even after it was proven that I had a legitimate medical problem so after 8 ibuprofen didn't ease my cramps one bit I'd end up at the emergency room & thankfully gained some compassion from the doctors <my surgical records were on file since it was done in the same hospital so they knew I wasn't lying>! Now, I'm back with my original ob/gyn & even though he's never felt the pain of endo - thankfully he understands that the pain is real & requires real medication to knock out the cramps! My monthly period of bedrest is a thing of the past & my employer doesn't have to worry about me calling in sick for 3-4 days during that time! There was this cloud of depression that once surrounded me - it was caused by my fear of the pain that could strike at any moment & was like a bonus that occurs about 2 times a week! Now, I don't feel the anxiety or depression simply because I know I have the means to control that pain myself thanks to an understanding doctor! I hope that by now you've found a dr that's understanding & makes you feel comfortable - if not I encourage you to keep searching! Endo is a disease that's taken very lightly in the medical field - there's still some drs that don't even believe in its existance - but you have others who take it very seriously & rank it up there with cancer! I said all of this to make this point: without seeing an understanding dr you're going to suffer everyday - I believe it is in their master plan to tear you down by letting this disease take over your life <& it can - trust me> but by finding a dr who actually cares you'll see your whole view on this disease change when you realize that - no - you don't have to suffer daily in silence! There's so many women plagued by this disease & most believe they're doomed to suffer daily, but they need to realize that there's drs out there who'll actually do all they can to ensure that we don't suffer!

MrsJSO responded:
I have only had one. My doctor knows how much I want to have another child and is already suggesting I attempt to get pregnant so I can have a hysto. I am excited to try for another but not so excited about the thought of the hysto.

Spotlight: Member Stories

22 years old and was diagnosed as having endometriosis. About 6 months ago I under went surgery to remove the cyts that I had this was my second surge...More

Helpful Tips

Is it a Period or Abnormal Bleeding?
This is a Tip to help you understand if you are having a period or abnormal bleeding. A period should only come once a ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.