Skip to content

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
Ideas for depression
endo2002 posted:
do any of you ladies know of any over the counter medicines/herbs that can help with depression?

I am about a month away from surgery and really don't want to switch pills again. My bcps are causing slight depression and effecting my sleeping.
Tabitha

hollyri responded:
I don't know about anything over the counter. However, I do know that sometimes just relaxing with a friend helps me. although it's hard to find a friend with the time nowadays. How do you feel about going to a nature park and just walking around? That's helped me too. I used to try rx meds for depression, but they actually made me feel worse (much worse), so I try lifestyle things like walks at sunset (if you live in a rural area, you can hear the owls waking up and coyotes finishing their days), watching old Will & Grace reruns, a new nail polish color, just little things that make me smile and calm me.

Hope this helps. I really don't know of any herbs that are supposed to do anything, but try some small things like reading an uplifting quote or looking in the mirror and telling yourself what a beautiful lady you are (don't forget to kiss your mirror).

Feel better.

ohbrandy responded:
I don't know about anything OTC for depression, but I know that melatonin can help with sleep.
Deuce!

ammiller2218 replied to ohbrandy's response:
Duece is correct, melatonion helps you sleep, but I would recommend getting Melatonin Plus. If you can't find that, you can buy them separately.

3 mg of Melatonin - ask your pharmasist how to best take it, some brands don't absorb into your body on a full tummy or empty tummy..etc.

25mg of Theanine - this is for stress relief. Take them 1 hour before bedtime, and it should help you get a good nights sleep and should make you feel a little better...but it's not going to stop the depression.

Tabitha, I know exactly how you feel, we all have our ups and downs, but I want to make sure that you know that we are here for you anytime..day or night! You can always email me...just to talk. Your bcp's should not be making you depressed, it can alter your mood...but should not cause "depression". So I don't know if you were having - what I call an emotional day - or if you are in a rutt. If you are in a rutt, please call your doctor...you may not have to change bcp's..maybe a mood stablizer could be given to you until you get out of the funk. I don't like anti-depressants so much, a mood stablizer such as seroquel, or saphris, can be taken when needed, no dependency issues, and you can stop taking it whenever you feel like it.

But please know we are here...so you keep us updated on how you are feeling, and try Holly's ideas, anything that makes you feel good...Do It!!!!

We are with ya love!!!
Amanda

brandib01 responded:
tabitha i am sure you know it is not suggested if you have depression to not speek to your doctor.. there are some things i have read about that can help but everywhere makes very clear depending on your history with it if a new RX is causing it then to talk to your doctor because it may seem minor now but could get much worse very quickly.

but i have heard licorice tea is helpful
St. John's Wort for Depression vitamin D and holly is right a walk can actually help. sunlight releases seretoning which is what most depression meds supplement. just being in he sun can medically help your depression. sorry you are feeling bad but le me know if i can help with anything else
Brandi 27dx'ed.infertile06'w/male factor also-first lap 09'endo stageIV/PCOS/2-m/c08'09'my angels hormone deficient 7 rounds of clomid~~co admin..

brookelovettc responded:
Evening primrose oil is supposed to help with depression... it also helps with PMS (and cervical mucus). I love it, I take 3 pills with dinner.
Me, DH: 29. TTC Since 2008. First RE apt May09. Mild MFIF. I've normal FSH and low AMH. Antral follicle count showed no follies on lefty,

endo2002 responded:
Thank you ladies. All the ideas are wonderful. I think I am going to give the doctor a call. I have only been back on bcps since last may and everyone just makes me feel the same. I do know the stress I am under right now isn't helping. I am going to give some of the ideas a try and see if any help. The sleep is the thing that bothers me the most. I have a very hard time going to sleep and staying asleep. I wake up every 45 mins to an hour.

Thanks again ladies. I will keep yall updated.
Tabitha

martiesgurl replied to endo2002's response:
Hey Tabitha-
A couple years ago I had a problem with severe anxiety and depression. The worse time for me was at night and I couldn't sleep. I was sent to a therapist who actually worked really well for me. Also, the doctor I see gave me Remeron (I think the spelling may be off a little lol) but just small dose of 10 mg. I take it at bedtime and the nice part is that it's technically an anti-depressant and also helps you fall asleep and sleep through the night. You are still able to wake up if need be and you don't feel groggy in the morning. I am not a fan of anti-depressants but this one worked for me. Another thing, I understand that it's hard to find a counselor that is easy to talk to, but I just want you to know that if you look, there is someone out there that you will click with if you are interested in talking to a professional. I've never responded to therapy, thought it was all a joke. Then I met my therapist and she gets me. If I'm having a hard time talking, she will change the subject to shoes (cuz she knows I love shoes!!) and it will help relax me and open up better. So as dorky as that sounds, the point there is someone for everyone to confide if you want. I hope you start to feel better soon and remember to take time for yourself. :)

Sadie

endo2002 replied to martiesgurl's response:
Thank you Sadie. I gave my doctor's office a call and I am wanting on a call back. I have never been to a therapist of phyic before. I have several friends that I really confide in and even just let me vent. I am gonna do my best to squeeze in some me time. Unfortunately as Brandi knows Houston is having our Houston Livestock show and Rodeo. Well I work for a bbq restaurant and I was volunteered to work 18 of the 20 days that it will be here. Girls you are talking a very busy place to be and VERY stressful one for that fact. So I am gonna do my best for me time.

I am gonna swing by the store tomorrow and see about picking up some of the things you guys mentioned. I will let you know how they work. Hopefully my doc calls back on Monday and I can see what we can do. Again thanks ladies.
Tabitha

martiesgurl replied to endo2002's response:
Tabitha,
You are most certainly welcome and anytime you need to talk you can feel free to e-mail also. It's spulcz@live.com or if you have facebook or anything, I'm glad you called your doctor's office and I sure hope you do take time for yourself. Even tho it sounds like you're super busy, even if at night, you take a few minutes to sit in a nice warm bath and relax. Don't forget that you are important and even if the days get hard and you get tired of everything, you still HAVE to come first. :) I hope you have a great weekend!!!!

Sadie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 26 years old and married to the love of my life. diagnosed with Endo in April 2010. I also have chronic kidney stones (25 since 2008) and chro...More

Helpful Tips

The Endo Bath :) Here it is ladies! I hope it helps you relax just a bit!
There is nothing better than a hot, soothing bath to relieve the aches and pains of endometriosis. Most of us have pain relievers on hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.