Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
precancer of the uterus what does it mean?
sherrithacker posted:
what does it mean to have precancer of the uterus?is it cancer or not?i am worried.i need information on this.can someone help me with this?they mentioned something about a linning on the uterus.what can i do about it? how effective is the iud for it?how often do i need to be checked out?

martiesgurl responded:
Hello and welcome to the board. My apologies, I have been posting and reading for a bit this morning and completely didn't even see this post, must of popped out after my first cup of coffee kicked in. (Sorry, little humor. :) ) I'm sorry for what is going on and what has brought you to us but I'm glad you found our group. This group is full of intelligent women who are very knowledgable on almost everything and if someone doesn't know, someone else will research. It's just the kind of thing we do around here, we offer support to anyone who needs it.

That being said, I'm not sure what precancerous of the uterus means, I do know that researching it yourself can and most likely will scare you. I always ask a good friend to research things for me after I've been to the doctor just so it can be sorted out before going into my head. Not sure if that makes any sense but it's what works for me.

So relax, take a deep breathe and Amanda (admin to this board) will pop in shortly to help you out. I hope you feel better and keep using us to help you in any way you need.

Take Care,
Sadie

hopeful2218 responded:
Hi Sherri, welcome to the board. I have a few questions to ask..that will help us assist you better.

How did you find out you had "pre-cancerous" cells?

"Most" of the time, this is what is referred to as an "abnormal pap". After this pap is done, and they see anything that looks out of the ordinary, they will do a colposcopy. I am going to assume that you have had this colposcopy done, and the doctor said you have pre-cauncerous cells. What this is really called is dsplaysia. (My spelling could be wrong) There are different levels of displaysia, low..mild...moderate...high...and cancer.

I had this in my early 20's. I was scared to death, and was told I have high displasia, they did a D&C and put me on birthcontrol. That was about 9 years ago..and all my paps come back normal now.

Dysplasia, is a very common thing..it needs to be monitored. I would have the colposcopy done every 3 months, then every 6 months then once a year..and now, I do not have to have it unless I have another abnormal pap.

Unfortuantely, I am not at home right now, and visiting with my family..but I would be more than happy to help in any way possible. I can say, do not think you have cancer..if you did..or the doctors thought you did...your uterus would have been removed immediately. Uterine cancer is not something a doctor waits on, or lets go..so basically you had an abnormal pap, and they found some cells in the lining of your uterus. That's why they do the D&C is to scrape the lining and remove those cells.

I would NO recommend an IUD at this point...and no a IUD will not help with displysia..normally it resolves on it's own.

Normally I would write more and be able to go more in depth, but I'm crunched for time right now...so please do not worry now..the doctors will take care of you..if you feel they are not..please seek a second opinion...!!!

If you can give anymore info about yourself, and what's going on, I would be more than happy answer any of your questions. But please do not think you have cancer!!!!

best wishes, hope you keep us updated!
Amanda
me, 29 dx'ed with endo in 09 via lap, M/C 12/24/09, currently on 2nd round of Lupron, Fibro, RLS, SVT, MS. Administrator to this board.

mcgalla responded:
Hi Sherri, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. Hearing this kind of stuff can be scary. But don't freak out though. If your doctor told you precancer then it definitely doesn't mean you have cancer. I'm not an expert in this area but I have learned a bit about it recently. My mom had a hysterectomy last year because they found precancerous cells in her uterus. They did several biopsies and did not find cancer but just these "abnormal" cells that they call precancerous, meaning they MIGHT possibly turn into cancer. There is no guarantee that it will go in that direction. In her case since she was 58 years old she didn't need her uterus anyway so it was just better for her to have it all removed. I hope this helps a little. Many people get paps that their dr tells them looks abnormal but after looking into it everything looks perfectly fine. So I can't stress enough to not worry about it and just keep in close contact with your dr to get the answers you need.

Wishing the best for you and keep us updated.
Carrie

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey everyone, my names Susan.I live in the South Jersey area and i am 21 years old and had endo pain since i was a preteen. I was diagnosed with endo ...More

Helpful Tips

information for members
I am not sure if everyone knows, Amanda and I are the administrators of this board. This is a member ran board and not a web md monitored ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.