Skip to content

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
Question for all you pros out there :-)
Shanikin posted:
As some of you may know, I am still fairly new to the whole endometriosis world. I was diagnosed with it in March during a lap surgery and I never even knew what it was before then.

So here's my question, is it possible for the surgery to make symptoms worse?

Aside from the heavy periods I never really had any endo symptoms. No pain, nothing.

In the past 2 or 3 months however, I feel AWFUL! If I wasn't getting a regular period I would swear that I was preggers. I am constantly nautious, I have "period like" cramps every day. My right ovary seems to feel the worse and sometimes I get a burning feeling along with the cramps. I have headache's just about every day. I feel like I am living off of Ibuprofen and I never feel like I have gotten enough sleep, I am always SO TIRED! To top it all off, right before I get my period for the last 2 cycles I have a solid week of diarrhea (sorry for the TMI)

Any ideas on what is going on?? I'm not taking any medication at all, except for the Ibuprofen for head aches.

Please help me! :-)
Shannon - diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis during laparoscopic surgery in March 2011.  TTC baby  1 :-)

BrittneyisaMommy responded:
oh shannon! wow that is something. what stage endo did they dx you with? i think that my symptoms were worse after my lap was done but like 3 months into it after i started ovulating again. that might be why you are having those issues?!? idk
Mommy DD 3yo and a DS 1yo. Diagnosed with Endo. after DS was born. Three M/C 9/2010, 11/2010,

mcgalla responded:
Hey Shannon, I felt like crap too after I had my lap. I thought maybe it was all in my head but then I found out its common to sometimes feel worse even months after you have had a lap, even if you didn't feel any symptoms before. Sometimes scar tissue from the surgery can play a part in causing pelvic pain, cramping, etc., especially on a particular side like your left or right ovary. But to be on the safe side, you might want to take a home pregnancy test just to be certain. Sometimes women still bleed or have what they think is a normal period when they are actually pregnant. You are most likely not pregnant because your periods are so heavy but your symptoms sound similar to pregnancy symptoms and its always good to be on the safe side.

Hang in there, and I hope the pain/discomfort go away for you soon. If not, see your doctor, the endo could be getting worse and they might suggest other options for you like a stronger pain killer or bcp if you're not on one right now. But I have a feeling you should start to feel better in a few months since your lap was so recent, our bodies just sometimes take a while to get normal again.

And for the diarrhea I would suggest taking a probiotic like florajen if you aren't taking one already. I get bouts of diarrhea every time I get my period and sometimes it lasts for 4-6 weeks at a time. But a good probiotic usually gets me back to right again, also look in the tips section for some food suggestions that can help.
Carrie

Shanikin replied to BrittneyisaMommy's response:
Thanks Brittney!

They diagnosed me with stage 4 and he told me to make sure to let him know if I had any problems, but I hate to call and make ANOTHER appointment if its something somewhat common.

Once you started to ovulate again did the symptoms improve? Or did they continue?
Shannon - diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis during laparoscopic surgery in March 2011. TTC baby 1 :-)

FrenchBulldogMom replied to Shanikin's response:
Ask your doctor about taking ibuprofen and ttc. When we did an IUI, I was giving instructions not to take it at all.

hollyri replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
For some women, the scar tissue with advanced stages of endo can actually mask the pain. Once that is removed, it's like the inflammation starts all over again. It's happened to friends of mine, and they thought it was super-rotten. I'm sorry that you're hurting right now.

I also wonder if it's because you're ovulating. Were you ovulating before your surgery, or do you know? Ovulation can cause all sorts of hormonal changes, and the diarrhea the last 2 weeks of your cycle is so familiar to me. I used to dread it because I knew I would have trouble at work. Ibuprofen can cause constipation, so be careful with it. I don't remember hearing much when ttc about ibuprofen, but I agree that it's important to talk to your dr about it. There might be something better for you to take.

It's all right to contact the dr. Actually, they prefer it because they can't help you if they don't know there's a problem. So please call and at least get some advice. If they want you to make an appointment, do it. You'll be able to get the help you need and perhaps reassurance that it's normal (or maybe it's not normal, and they can figure out what to do to help you).

I hate to say that the whole time I was ttc, my endo was horrible. The hormone changes that occur with ovulation fuel the growth of endometriosis. It's the nature of the disease as my former dr would say. Since you had stage 4, it's highly possible that you'll get pg soon because the scar tissue is removed, and blockages are corrected. However, because you have endometriosis, you shouldn't put off talking to your dr esp about your fertility. If you feel comfortable with seeking treatments, now is the time to start looking into it and deciding how far you can go emotionally and financially.

Wishing you all the best. I truly am.
~Holly

BrittneyisaMommy replied to hollyri's response:
it was fine until i started to ovulate again. sorry if that was confusing. lol. yeah i did not have pain at all until 3 mos out...
Mommy DD 3yo and a DS 1yo. Diagnosed with Endo. after DS was born. Three M/C 9/2010, 11/2010,

Shanikin replied to BrittneyisaMommy's response:
Wow, thanks guys for all of the great information!!

You guys all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.

Might as well go ahead and make a Dr Appointment just to check things out.

Carrie - I'll be sure to take a test before I go, just to be sure :-)

You guys are all wonderful! I'm so thankful for you :-)
Shannon - diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis during laparoscopic surgery in March 2011. TTC baby 1 :-)

latrelle5 replied to hollyri's response:
Hi Holly I also have endo and trying to conceive. I had my first IUI couple of week ago but BPN :-( I know everyone is different but did you have any success to getting prego

BrittneyisaMommy replied to latrelle5's response:
latrelle you have to message brandi she is the ttc guru here...

hollyri replied to BrittneyisaMommy's response:
Latrelle, I'm sorry to say that I was never successful. But I had so many other problems that affected my fertility. I had a uterine infection that went untreated for years and ended up causing scarring, I had bad eggs, I had Graves diseases, and I had endo. It was a perfect storm of infertility. Most women with endo do get pregnant eventually, although some will need assistance from the medical community. I just had too many other problems that were discovered over the years.

And everyone I know personally with endo (and there are lots) have gone on to have children. Some on their own and some with medical assistance. But all of them have kids. It is entirely possible that it can happen. I do hope it happens for you too.

And yes, Brandi can give you some good advice. She's got an amazing story. :)
~holly

latrelle5 replied to BrittneyisaMommy's response:
Im new to this how do I message brandi :-)

latrelle5 replied to hollyri's response:
Thanks Holly How do I find Brandi

brandib01 replied to latrelle5's response:
hey sorry i have been mia you can email me at bbittler@gmail.com .

my internet is in and out since i am at home right now but that email goes direct to my cell phone...

feel free to ask anything. if i have an answer i would be more than happy to help.

and you should not take ibuprophen when ttc.
Brandi 27dx'ed.infertile06'w/male factor also-first lap 09'endo stageIV/PCOS/2-m/c08'09'my angels hormone deficient 7 rounds of clomid~~co admin..

Spotlight: Member Stories

At 16, I lost my left ovary and tube to an aggressive cyst (8cm) that destroyed both and caused them to twist. I was told then that I'd never be a...More

Helpful Tips

Is it a Period or Abnormal Bleeding?
This is a Tip to help you understand if you are having a period or abnormal bleeding. A period should only come once a ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.