Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
Is this part of Endomertiosis?
An_240369 posted:
Hello, I've been wondering if feeling pressure and pain during sexual intercourse was normal? I have not been diagnosed with Endometriosis but I was advised by my GYNO that I may have it becausse of all the pain I feel around my uterus. I feel very strong, uncomfortable pressure during sex. Certain positions trigger the pain more than others. I was just wondering if it was something women with Endometriosis go through? I am considering getting a second opinion from another Doctor as well.

mcgalla responded:
Hi and welcome to the board! Sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing The only way to be definitively diagnose endo is by laparoscopic surgery. There is a chance you could have it so talk to your doctor about whether they have a strong feeling you have it and you need to decide if it is worth it to find out. Its a pretty simple surgery when diagnosing you, same day surgery with a small incision made below belly button, they use a camera to look around and see if you have endo. You will be given general anesthesia and be out for a couple hours usually. If they find it they will remove any cysts or adhesions you may have. Generally they do an ultrasound way before suggesting surgery to see if they can find anything abnormal. And definitely see another doctor if you want a second opinion, it never hurts.

Do you have other symptoms besides painful intercourse? Sex can definitely hurt for women with endo. Usually the deeper the penetration the more pain some experience. I find that being on top is the least painful position for me, missionary position is definitely out for me causing me to cry it hurts so bad. The best thing to do is try out different positions and find one that is pleasurable and not painful at the same time which can be hard for some. Getting yourself in the mood can help you be less dry which causes pain and even being anxious beforehand about the pain (which we often dread) can cause you to tense up those muscles making it painful as well. Having your partner massage your back or taking a warm relaxing bath before sex can help you feel relaxed and comfy making it more enjoyable/less painful.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do and what your doctor says. And feel free to ask any other questions you may have and I will try to provide some answers and better understanding/details of endo if you need
Carrie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a very active and fit 27 year old and thought getting pregnant when my husband and I decided the time was right would be easy. Boy, was I wrong! ...More

Helpful Tips

Is it a Period or Abnormal Bleeding?
This is a Tip to help you understand if you are having a period or abnormal bleeding. A period should only come once a ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 68 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.