Skip to content

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
Endometriosis
tamjensen posted:
I have Endometriosis. I also have experienced fibroids and had huge ovarian cysts that are all very painful. Why is it that birth control pills are always recommended? What are some other options? Birth control pills make me sick and I gain weight on them. I also get frequent yeast infections which I am sick of! I wash my underwear in All Free 'N Clear and I double rinse them. The doctors office said to not wash with Dove but said it was okay to use Cetaphil. She also said not to take bubble baths and to make sure that my toilet paper does not have any patterns to it. I eat yogurt daily. Although I do have some chronic pains that I live with I wonder if that makes me more susceptible to gettting yeast infections? who knows? Does anyone have any other ideas?

mcgalla responded:
Hi tamjensen and welcome to the board! I feel your pain on the birth control pills. I get sick from them too but usually on when I've been on a high dose pill. If your doctor can prescribe you something low dose that might help you not feel sick but everyone is different and you may be sensitive to all of them. Doctors usually prescribe them because it causes you to not ovulate, and when we ovulate our bodies can sometimes form cysts from extra hormones leftover from the cycle (our bodies keep these extra hormones in case we get pregnant during the ovulation cycle and if not then it can form cysts). Usually these are considered functional cysts but in our case with endo we sometimes get rather large cysts that are not considered functional. So how does bcps work to help prevent these type of cysts for endo women? Honestly I don't know, its something that I keep trying to understand but can't wrap my mind around it. I took bcps for years and still had large cysts very frequently and even my doctor would say "hmm, I don't understand why you are still getting cysts while on bcps". So while bcps can help with other endo symptoms like shortening a long period or lightening a heavy one, making you regular, etc it certainly doesn't always keep cysts away for everyone.

For the yeast infections, I did some research while I was taking bcps and they definitely throw your good bacteria balance in your body off making you more susceptible to yeast infections. Yogurt is good but taking a probiotic everyday is much better. You'll get a greater concentration of good bacteria that should help with the infections and also help with any stomach issues you may have. There are several great probiotic blends out there, if you are looking for something potent but affordable I recommend going to cvs and asking for a probiotic (they keep it in the pharmacy refrigerator so just ask for it), I can't remember the name of it but it should be round $14-$17. Sorry I'm blanking on the name, I haven't taken it in awhile because I'm on a prenatal with probiotic in it. But either way you should be able to find something good at any health food store, I just recommend getting one that is refrigerated because you know it is "live".

Hope this helps and keep us updated if you see any improvement or don't and we'll keep trying different things. Oh and for other endo treatment options, depending on you severity there is lupron (which can only be taken for 6 months at a time) which puts you in temporary menopause (lots of side effects though) and also trying a a more natural approach like changing your diet and maybe adding stress relieving yoga/pilates can help some people.

Feel free to frequent the board and participate in our roll calls if interested-we usually post them weekly and use it as a way to keep up with each, vent about our endo frustrations, or let others know of improvements and things that have worked for us.
Carrie

mcgalla replied to mcgalla's response:
Hi I just remembered the name of the probiotic I used to use, its called Florajen and if you look it up online it will list where you can find it. It works great and I love that it is very affordable as some probiotics can be pretty expensive.
Carrie

tamjensen replied to mcgalla's response:
Thanks for your remarks.I really appreciate it. I have tried probiotics before and really did not notice a big difference I still would get the infections so I stopped that. I think part of my problem is that I sweat in my sleep and it is a breeding ground or like a petri dish for yeast to grow. I also have a lot of GI problems which is probably due to the fact of why I am sweating. I believe that it is my body's way of trying to release toxins through my pores. Who knows for sure though I am just entirely guessing as to why.

mcgalla replied to tamjensen's response:
hmm thats tricky. Im not sure what else to suggest but I hope you can find a solution to this problem. I think finding a holistic doctor or naturopathic dr might be helpful. they could have some more ideas to try. oh and i just thought of something else. i have heard that frequent yeast infections can be a sign of Candida. I dont know a whole lot about it but i do know that cutting out sugar is what helps eliminate it because yeast thrive on sugar in the body to live.
Carrie

hollyri replied to mcgalla's response:
Probiotics are good, but also wash with Ivory soap or something that is completely free of dyes and perfumes. I started using an all-natural shea butter soap, and I'm not having any problems since using it. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I decide it's actually helping though. Ivory worked for a few years, but then I think my body got used to it or something.

amandapuckett responded:
have the same issues and i don't know why it is that way with birth control pills but i have severe break through bleeding with bc along with the weight gain. i don't have any answers as far as the yeast infections because i have the same problem i too eat yogurt daily and cannot take a tub bath or go swimming for that reason, but i also suffer from pelvic infections constantly and UTIs. i wish i could help you because i feel your pain and aggravation. sometimes the more water i drink helps but not always.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Endometirosis over a year ago. I haven't had any surgeries for it, so i am unsure how serious it is at this point. I am 26, a...More

Helpful Tips

information for members
I am not sure if everyone knows, Amanda and I are the administrators of this board. This is a member ran board and not a web md monitored ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.