Skip to content

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
I need help.
Carrotveggiequeen posted:
Hi. My name is Emily. I am 21 years old and for over a year now I have been having pain and I feel my doctor has been beating around the bush about it.
I have sharp lower abdomen pain on both sides, but the left side hurts more frequently. I also have sharp and achy pains in my mid-abdomen. I bloat easily. I have frequent pain before bowel movements that lingers until several minutes after my business is done. Sometimes I have the same problem with a full bladder. Every time I go in to the doctor they ask me if I was rushing because my heart is racing, and I tell them I make sure to leave my home early and my heart frequently races. Finally, I also have pain during intercourse.
I suggested endomorphisms because it runs in my family and some of the symptoms fit.
I have been in to see her well over 15 times about this problem. She has changed my birth control 3 times, and once we went to a three month cycle. None of the birth controls have made the pain less and the three month cycle (I had to stay on it for 6 months to test) left me spotting for 4 of those months.
I recently had a pelvic ultrasound. My doctor told me if everything returned normal that we would focus on my intestines to see if they are the cause of my pain. I had some mild pain when she did the exterior ultrasound and a sharp pain to the left during the interior ultrasound. Once the results came in my doctors nurse called to tell me that everything was normal. She asked that I come in in a month after keeping track of my pain and then told me we would try switching my birth control again.
I don't understand. If my results came back normal, why are they still focused on switching my birth control? Should I be concerned? Could the nurse have lied to me? Can anyone give me advice on what to do?

mcgalla responded:
Hi Emily and welcome to the board. Your doctor is probably focused on switching your bcp (birth control pill) in hopes of finding one that helps control the pain you are experiencing during your period. For the rest of the month though, bcp (at least from my experience don't help with any pelvic/lower abdominal pain). Its very possible that you have something going on even though they didn't see anything unusual during the ultrasound because they can't catch everything. Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose endometriosis is by laparoscopic surgery. Not everyone is willing to go through this to find out if that might be the problem but its the only way to know for sure. I would suggest talking to your doctor about it (which can be hard because some doctors become very annoyed when they feel their patients are trying to self-diagnose themselves), so you have to approach it carefully but try to see if they think surgery is necessary to find out what is going on. It could be IBS which has similar symptoms but interestingly enough, endometriosis is often misdiagnosed as IBS for many women. Thats what happened to me for several years until I finally was diagnosed with endo. My other suggestion if you don't feel you are getting anywhere with this doctor is to find a new one. As women we tend to go through a lot of doctors until we find one that will listen to us and take our symptoms seriously. If any of your female relatives (especially mother/sisters) have endometriosis you have a higher chance of having it as well, so make sure to mention that if that is the case.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask . And keep us updated on what you decide to do
Carrie

Carrotveggiequeen replied to mcgalla's response:
Thank you very much. I appreciate your help. I have previously mentioned my family history, so I'm glad I've done that right. Reading your post helped me a lot. My husband is in the Navy so getting my doctor switch would be more trouble than its worth. I have seen a few of the others already and the one I see now is much better than any of the other ones here. Even if she isn't the best doctor for me, she is the best option I have available at this time. I will keep the IBS issue in mind. Thank you for that information. I beleive I will be much better prepared for my next appointment now. Thank you again!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm Jennifer, I was diagnosed with endo in September 2010 when I had my first lap, but I've been dealing with the agonizing pain for about...More

Helpful Tips

information for members
I am not sure if everyone knows, Amanda and I are the administrators of this board. This is a member ran board and not a web md monitored ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.