Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
Newbee to this community had endo for about 12 years have questions for others like me
Anon_182193 posted:
Hello my name is sexymamma and I have been married for 16 years and I have two teenagers. For the past two years I have had pelvic pain and a dislike in having sex because I'm scard that my uterus will hurt for days. It is very heartbreaking becuase when your married your relationship requires the sexual commitment. I went to the doctor and there is nothing that can cure this health issue and I am only 37 years old so I need to be sexual with my spouse. I have a lot of sympathy for other women with this disease and as usual no one understands unless they have to go through it. I have been on several birth control pills in the past and this past two years I had the mirena put in but it too caused problems but my periods didn't hurt and weren't as heavy. Then in November I went on the Depo Vera shot and it caused me to have severe cramps that made me wish I had kept the Mirena in. I forgot how bad cramps were for me. Is there anyone out there that has pain with intercourse and pelvic pain or one of these terrible symptoms. Please comment on my disscussion. Life is too great for all of this pain just have to keep going and take it day by day.

jenkoelenko responded:
Welcome sexymamma! just as a heads up, this may be a little TMI..... I'm sorry for all the pain you're going through! I have stage 4 endo, and my dr says I've had it for at least 10 years, if not longer, so I think its safe to say that I have a pretty good understanding of your pain... and it sucks, I'm sorry! It was really REALLY painful to have intercourse when I first got married, and stayed that way for quite some time. Something that really helped me was th surgery I had 4 years ago to "clean me out". They removed as much of the endo tissue as they could. Even after that it still hurt for quite some time... It still hurts, but what I've found helpful is to kinda push through the pain... I know that does sound great, but there it is. The way I figure it is that by repeatedly doing one position (not fun, I know) you essentially "stretch" the endo, making it less painful in the future. These are just the things that have helped me. I used to cry through intercourse because it hurt so much... Hopefully this helps you! another thing to try maybe: a nice warm bath before intercourse, just to help "loosen up" and relax your abdominopelvic area.
~Jenna 24 ttc since 1/07, dx'd w/ endo stage IV via lap 06/08, 1 round lupron, 4 rounds of clomid, dx'd w/ PCOS 06/11, more clomid, m/c 9/2011 - my sweet little angel

mcgalla responded:
Hi and welcome to the board! Sorry to hear about the pelvic pain and pain with intercourse. Like Jenna mentioned, taking a warm bath before sex can help relax your muscles making it easier. Also try having your partner give you a massage. And the tip I suggest the most (because this really is the only thing that works for me), is to be on top when having sex. When you are in missionary position the is deeper penetration which obviously causes more pain and being on top can make it more comfortable and enjoyable for you. If that position doesn't work then maybe try some other ones. The key thing is to do whatever gives you more pleasure during sex to sort of override the pain. Have you tried using lubricants? I hate using them but sometimes I do and find that it actually helps lessen the pain by making everything less dry.

Hope this helps!
Carrie

Anon_182193 replied to jenkoelenko's response:
Thanks for the advice jenkoelenko it is nice to know that this is not all in my head. When others are going through the same things as myself. The surgery that you had to clean yourself out what was it called so I can mention this to my obgyn. They say they cant do anything for me and that there is no cure. I will try the warm baths before the loving begins. When I was a teenager I had severe cramps and when I had kids I had no more cramps. It's funny now that my kids are 16 and 17 I have a tilted uterus AND painful intercourse. Wow I hope it gets better. Have a good night and lets keep in touch.

GOOD NIGHT!!!!!

Anon_182193 replied to mcgalla's response:
Good evening mcgalla I will try the lubricants but I am too scard to purchase them. I will have to make my husband go top buy some. Which brand is a good one to choose from? I talked to my Obgyn on Friday and she also said to try the being on top which does alleviate some of the pain. I also try to do pelvic stretches before sex and this helps a little too but I always have bleeding afterwards and I am very worried about that. it's like when you had sex for the first time. Have a good night to all and thanks for the advice lets keep in touch so we will know how each other is doing.

jenkoelenko replied to Anon_182193's response:
I'd recommend Play brand lubs if oil-based are okay for you, if you'd prefer water-based, I'd recommend K-Y brand lubs. Both of them work really well. As for the name of my surgery... its kinda confusing... the dr. who performed it called it an "endometrial ablation", however, with my new OB/GYN (I moved) they said that THAT particular surgery would not let me have children after it was performed........ yet I've gotten pregnant since... So, end story: I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but it is similar (at least) to an endometrial ablation. The "funny" thing about endo is that pregnancy is kinda the "cure" for endo (at least for a period of time), so that would explain why you had such severe cramps as a teen, had children then had no pain for a while, and now its back... makes sense. Good luck!!! keep in touch
~Jenna 24 ttc since 1/07, dx'd w/ endo stage IV via lap 06/08, 1 round lupron, 4 rounds of clomid, dx'd w/ PCOS 06/11, more clomid, m/c 9/2011 - my sweet little angel

mcgalla replied to Anon_182193's response:
I have my husband buy that too so I don't have to, lol! I think he usually gets ky brand. The bleeding might be from too deep penetration or from things being dry. In which case being on top and using lub might help. My mom also had endo and she mentioned to me that her periods became much more manageable after she had kids. So thats probably why it got better for awhile.
Carrie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I just wanted to share my story. I was Diagnosed with endometriosis after I had two beautiful blessings in my arms... Before I had children I never ha...More

Helpful Tips

information for members
I am not sure if everyone knows, Amanda and I are the administrators of this board. This is a member ran board and not a web md monitored ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.