Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
    How do I find the right doctor...
    An_242564 posted:
    Ok, here is a little background: 5 yrs ago I had an x-ray and a large tumor (appx 28 cm — not a typo it was that big) was found. After a laparotomy, the tumor was removed and was not cancerous. I had terrible endometriosis coving a good bit of my pelvic organs. It was all removed, as well as part of my left ovary. One year later, after months of pain I had another surgery to remove more cysts and endometriosis. Since the first surgery I have had 6 in all. The subsequent 5 were done laparoscopically. In the surgeries, I have had both fallopian tubes removed, part of my left ovary and my right ovary.

    With every surgery I have had, I have had multiple cysts removed each time. Usually there is 1-2 very large ones and 1-2 moderate sized ones. Since the third surgery there has not been any endometriosis or endometrial cysts. The cysts are now forming from scar tissue.

    After the first four surgeries my doctor told me that he was not comfortable doing any more surgeries after this surgery and I would need to consider having a hysterectomy if I had any more problems. I am a 35 year, single woman and I really want to have a child — not yet but I am not ready to give up the option or take that drastic a step; especially without knowing that it will 100% fix the problem. I really love and respect my doctor. He has been through a lot with me and I know he is trying to do what is best. After some online research by both him and me we found a specialist that worked with women with that need adhesiolysis for pelvic cysts/tumors. I spent 2 years with the specialist and two surgeries later, I have more cysts.

    I guess my quest is, should I just go to a new doctor and start from the beginning or try to find a new specialist? If I should go the specialist route, where should I look (I live on the Alabama gulf coast)?

    Sorry for the long post. Thank you.
    hollyri responded:
    I don't know the best answer for you. However, it never hurts to get a second opinion. It can take a while to find a doctor who can treat your condition in a way that works and that you're comfortable with.
    brandib01 responded:
    suggest you stay the specialist route. i always suggest a reproductive endocronologist. they usually have the most experience with endo since in most cases it is found when women decide to have children and can't. and since you want children they also keep that as their top priority.. i do not know how far you are willing to travel there are several renowned specialists with the endo center being in i belive georgia there is one in california and a few here in texas where i live. but def start with an RE
    Brandi 28dx'ed.endo lap 09'

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I am 28 years old, finally dx'ed with Endo 7/09 via Lap, I am the administrator to this board, I welcome all who want to learn more about women&...More

    Helpful Tips

    Are You at High Risk of Infecting Endometriosis After Abortion?
    There are increasing women worrying if they are at high risk of infecting endometriosis after abortion? To figure out the right answer for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.