Skip to content

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
Hysterectomy for Endometriosis
Endopain76 posted:
Hi, I was just told that I should have a hysterectomy because of my endo and was wondering if anyone else has had this or has been told this. I'm 35, had trouble getting pregnant, so I had a lap and was told I have stage 3 endo. This was 7 years ago, since then we were able to have 2 beautiful kids and I had a few years pain free. Over the past 4 years my symptoms have just gotten worse and worse and now my dr is scheduling me for a hysterectomy and I'm worried.
Has anyone else been through this? He said they are going to do it laparoscopic and that they would try and leave the ovaries.

brandib01 responded:
hello.

sorry for the pain you are in.
i would love to tell you that a hysto would fix all your endo issues but unfortunately that is not the case.

some women find relief but most do not whether it is right away or 10 years down the road its a toss up.

endo feeds off your hormones so especially if the ovaries are left it really will be an waste of surgery. i am not trying to scare you just let you know. a ysto is a huge decision and i have talked to many women like i said who were told the same thing and 2 months later they are still in pain and then the doctors swear that it can't be endo because they themselves are under the misconception that it will fix it and so that can't be your problem..

i would definately suggest geting a second opinion. any good doctor espcially in the face of such a big decision will be moer than happy to except a possible alternative.

i just want you to make sure you explore every option.
Brandi 28dx'ed.endo lap 09'

booberryjuice responded:
hi I too have a similar story. I had endo bad they took 1 ovary and my appendix and 'zapped' a spot on my liver and around my colon. I went on to have my second child, then had to have a total hysterectomy. I chose NOT to take hormones , but have to use vaginal cream not just to be able to have relations w/ my husband but to just be able to wipe without pain. no ovaries means your lining your left with will dry up and thin out unless you do something- I chose to do the logical thing i thought at the time that would lessen my chance of getting endo back.I feel endo free today. and am glad they took everything out ( no cancer scares with that part of me anyways) but I have also had more weight gain than i would like, it slowed my metabolism to a halt! so that is a big down side.I'm glad i had it done, the endo was pinching my colon off and i had to do something drastic. Now i may take the hormones, cant decide yet, scared to but need it for other reasons, like calcium and weight loss, hot flashes etc. I have not been able to take calcium b/c of gastritis, so i have problems from that. read allot about all your options. knowledge is power. I wouldn't have changed my mind on the surgery. but i sure wish i could on all my falls i had younger that gave me compressed disks and bone spurs in my neck! good luck and hang in there.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm Jennifer, I was diagnosed with endo in September 2010 when I had my first lap, but I've been dealing with the agonizing pain for about...More

Helpful Tips

information for members
I am not sure if everyone knows, Amanda and I are the administrators of this board. This is a member ran board and not a web md monitored ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.