Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
New Diagnosis, Many Questions
An_251154 posted:
Hello. Where to start? I just got back from my ob/gyn for a d&c/hysteroscopy follow-up. The biopsy showed chronic endometriosis. Chronic means recurring? But doing research, it doesn't seem to be something I've had in the past? After giving birth to my second child in 2008, I had Mirena inserted. The only great part about Mirena was my periods stopped completely after the first 3 months, and my husband and I didn't need to worry about birth control. But I was having so many issues, and we were talking of maybe another child anyway, so I had it removed in September of 2012. And it has been a nightmare since. Very heavy bleeding, clots as large as my hand. I was told to tough it out, it would stop. Six months later, the clots were more numerous and I couldn't "wait it out". The doctor did an ultrasound and found the lining was very thick. They scheduled me to come back for a hysterosonogram. A few nights before that appointment, I had the most severe abdominal cramping imaginable. I had natural childbirth with my first child. That was more pleasant than the pain I had. After 20 minutes or so, I passed two very large clumps of tissue. Not blood. Whitish colored tissue. I think this may have been endometrial tissue? My doctor tried to tell me it was just blood, but no way. Now, I'm told the biopsy result is chronic endometriosis. Could this be yet another horrible side effect of Mirena? Prior to Mirena, I had 2 healthy, normal pregnancies, and none of the symptoms of endometriosis described on WebMD. I've always made regular visits to my ob/gyn, and no mention of any issues before Mirena. Does this mean I may not be able to have another child? The doctor gave me a 3 week supply of antibiotics to treat it. Is this normal? Should I consult another doctor? I'm a little overwhelmed.

angeleyes1206 responded:
Antibiotics is not a typical treatmet for endometriosis so I wonder what else your doctor thought was going in that required a course of antibiotics. If I were you I would consult with another doctor to get a second opinion. I just joined this board and saw that you posted this a month ago. I hope in this time you have been able to find some help.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 24, diagnosed with stage 3 endo in Feb. 2010. Started round of Lupron after having the lap. Having to go off Lupron after severe allergic reac...More

Helpful Tips

The Endo Bath :) Here it is ladies! I hope it helps you relax just a bit!
There is nothing better than a hot, soothing bath to relieve the aches and pains of endometriosis. Most of us have pain relievers on hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.