Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

All Endo, PCOS, Adeno, Hysto's, Pelvic Pain this is the link to our new Exchange. It will take some time to get everything re-entered...but WELCOME ALL!!!
Endo and hysterectomy, keep cervix and ovaries?
Jillie02baMom posted:
Long story hopefully sort of short...
My stage 4 endo has escalated in the last few months. I've been hospitalized for a few days, had an episode where I couldn't pee and have been struggling with fevers and abdominal pain the rest of the time.

I had lots of tests and a lap in August to prepare for a hysterectomy. During the lap, they had to distend my bladder. Not sure if this is IC? Follow-up and pre-op is tomorrow so I'll learn more about that!

The hysterectomy with excision of endo will be scheduled for October. Question is, to keep the cervix or not? I have an endometrioma just next to it that is invading the vagina. It must go. I also have one ovary that is really bad. I've read that it is a good idea to keep one, but does that change if endo is in the picture?

I know that endo cannot be cured by hysterectomy. I have to do something, can't continue this way. My biggest pain days come with ovulation and periods are horrendous!!!
~jill ~~ttc since 01, dx'ed endo via lap 05, 2nd lap

Jillie02baMom responded:
p.s. In addition to the excision, my surgeon and I have discussed the possibility of doing a course of Lupron afterward to dry up anything he potentially could have missed.
~jill ~~ttc since 01, dx'ed endo via lap 05, 2nd lap

brandib01 responded:
as you already know the more you leave the more your adhesions will continue to grow elsewhere.

but removing everything will not be a fun trip either.

have you discussed doing ablation with your doctor where they burn the endometrial lining from your uterus pertty much achieving the same thing where you dont cycle because there is nothing left to shet. that is outpatient and much less invasive and achieves the same minimal releif you are looking for
Brandi 28dx'ed.endo lap 09'

Spotlight: Member Stories

Dx with stage IV endometriosis in 2010, had ovary removed. Endometriosis found in appendix, ureter, uterus and 14 cm cysts. Umpteen rounds of BCPs, 1s...More

Helpful Tips

The Endo Bath :) Here it is ladies! I hope it helps you relax just a bit!
There is nothing better than a hot, soothing bath to relieve the aches and pains of endometriosis. Most of us have pain relievers on hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.