Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
coping with epilepsy
modgal66 posted:
I was diagnosed with petite Mal epilepsy,and have been struggling with it for years,the meds I've been on have helped partially,but still not to the full extent.This whole illness has brought me down so low,i cant socialize like i use to i dropped all my friends,I've become bi polar,I am always so negative,I'm terribly mean to my family,all i do is cry everyday,and there is always something on my mind,whether its about money(which i don't have)school(which i had to quite,and my illness(which is why I'm unable to work.I feel that things are never going to get better,and im still so young(20) I wanna enjoy my youth,This illness has taken over me,the symptoms are just unbearable,if anybody has any suggestions or is going through the same,please,any information is appreciated,thank you.
love meg

phylisfeinerjohnson responded:
I don't know what meds you are on, but I have TLE and have finally found my "magic med mix."

It's Lamictal...at it's lowest dose, it's an anti-depressant, at its next level, it's an anti-depressant and anti-seizure drug and at its highest level, it's an anti-depressant, anti-seizure and bipolar med.

That is supplemented with Klonopin -- an anti-seizure and anti-epilepsy drug...and I am one happy camper.

I wish the same for you! Good luck!

Phylis Feiner Johnson
www.epilepsytalk.com

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Modgal,

Stick around & socialize w/ us. You can be Our friend.

You aren't alone w/ the frustration you are going thru. I can remember going thru over 10 yrs w/ the same frustrations. This disorder can only be coped w/ if you learn to take it One Day at a Time. Time, Patience, Education & Support is All Very Necessary. The whole point is to Not Let Epilepsy Rule!

You are Young. Well, so was I when EP became a problem for me. I survived, but, it took a while to put a 'positive' face on. And it was the good ppl I met here at WebMD that did that for me. They taught me that I was Still a 'normal' person despite my disorder. I gained confidence & got back out there into the world. I found out who my 'true' friends were & said forget it to the rest. I do hope we can do the same for you.

Information? Chek out our Resources. Lots of Info.

Suggestions? Well, Do you keep a Journal? More info under Tips.

Sounds like you are stressed about quite a few things. Well, you ain't alone there, either. Talk to us! It can/mite/will help.

Love Candi

modgal66 replied to dancer86442's response:
you are great Candi,thank you for taking time out to respond,Ill definitely start coming on here more,I can see it already boosting my confidence,thanks a lot
_ meg

dancer86442 replied to modgal66's response:
Hi Meg,

You're Very Welcome! A few questions. What medications are you on now? For how long? How often do you have 'episodes'?

I realize how hard it is for a 'normal' person to get & keep a job, nowadays. But, there are programs out there that can train You for jobs suitable for you. Goodwill Industries makes that Promise. But, chek w/ your nearest Epilepsy Foundation, to see what's available for you. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Don't just lurk. Say Hello to others & me whenever you visit. HUGS!

Love Candi

he1p1 responded:
Like dancer said you are not alone. I had my first seizure when I was 7. The doctor said he found nothing wrong. So I thought it was normal to zone out or pass out sometimes. I never told anyone about it. Then I had my second grand-mal seizure when I was 27. This time I was told I had a disorder. Shortly after that I lost my job due to it. I guess my boss didn't want to risk me having a seizure on the job. 6 months later I had another seizure and the doctor doubled my meds and told me I have epilepsy, but never what kind. I to have distanced myself from social interactions. I don't want to risk having another one in public. I wish you the best of luck. I'm still trying to come to grips with it myself.

Georgiaann responded:
petitmal (absence) epilepsy your lucky that's all you have.I'm sorry you have seizures. I was diagnosed with seizures at 2.
It can only take over if you allow it to.
meds have a lot to do with the way react to things because of there side effects.

I

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center