Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Borderline epileptic or dehydrated?
An_200687 posted:
I had my first seizure in June 2006 when I was 19 years old. I had a job servicing refrigeration systems and one day while walking to a work site I had a seizure. I was sent to the hospital and the EEG test while awake, came up with nothing, but the sleep EEG concluded that I was borderline epileptic because I had above average activity in my brain while I sleep.
I like to lift weights and was taking a supplement called creatine at the time. I think creatine is a diuretic and caused me to become dehydrated so much that it caused the seizure because I would work an 8 hour day at a physically active job, then go lift weights for about 2 hours. In october I had another seizure while I was at the gym but had stopped taking creatine right after I had my first seizure. The last time I had a seizure was when I was intoxicated in 2008 and most likely dehydrated.

I really believe that being dehydated from sweating/over-training caused my seizures because it has been a long time since I have had one and that taking sodium and potassium supplements will help me a lot. Can anyone give their insight on this?

nemo1234 responded:
My 16 year old son has had 4 seizures in the past 18 months. Diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. The only two common triggers we see so far is they occur within 2 hours of waking up and in two cases he was dehydrated. The other 2 times we don't know because it was before he was diagnosed. I've looked a lot on the internet and seen that some people only have seizures when dehydrated. So I think it is definitely a cause.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello,

There are Many Causes & Triggers for seizures/Epilepsy. Causes are not the same as Triggers. From what I have read Dehydration is/mite be a Trigger for some people. The Stress caused by work/exercise regimen can be a Trigger, too. Please use Our Resources to learn More or use your search Tabs for info.

Definitely, talk w/ your Neuro B4 adding any supplements to your regimen. Too much or too little can Trigger seizures, also.

Are you on any anti-seizure meds? Do you keep a Journal? (More info under tips :) ) Please keep us updated. Would like to know Your Drs opinion on this. :) And, When it comes to Epilepsy, Second opinions or more are recommended. :)

Love Candi

dancer86442 replied to nemo1234's response:
Hello Nemo,

Thank You for your input. I hope you &/or your son are keeping a Journal. It will be a Very useful tool in the future for DRS & your child. More info under Tips. And as Many sites have said "To prevent confusion, keep in mind, causes & triggers are two very separate issues."

Glad you are doing your 'homework'. Be sure you educate your son, too. :)

Love Candi

kaibrig replied to dancer86442's response:
thank you for your response! i appreciate it. I did not think of the differences of causes and triggers when i posted my question yesterday. that was a good point to make. i'm kind of leaning towards the fact that it may be a trigger. right now i'm on lamictal, the brand name and want to talk to a neurologist about changing to the generic because of health coverage issues.

when i go to the doctor i'm going to ask about dehydration as being a trigger and want to see about getting an EEG to check my brain activity. I've only had 1 seizure during sleep after a long, hot day working outside but sometimes when i'm asleep i can feel my body very, very slowly convulsing. I wake up and it goes away. thanks again for your response.

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center