Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Back again
silvettig posted:
well I went for my eeg yesterday morning and knowing that I was starting test all over again was so relaxing that I had my best night of sleep in years. Just knowing that all is back under way takes alot of pressure off one's mind because when you know something is going on and it just can't be found in one test you know that it will show up in one of several test ( I hope). Everyone have a great weekend and it's so good to know that you all are out there. Having someone to talk to make's it a little easy to get past all this.

dancer86442 responded:
Good Morning silvettig,

I enjoy talking w/ you, too. I am glad you are thinking soooo positive. You Are Your Own Best Advocate. You & Witnesses.

Good Night's Sleep? What's that??? Just Joking. Just Wishing.

My weekends/weekdays, are Always Great! I got you & others, that Make it that way. HUGS!

Love Candi

phylisfeinerjohnson responded:
Here's a little primer of diagnostic tests which you may or may not be familiar with:

First of all, I know of people who have had 5 EEGs, only to be properly diagnosed when they finally had Video EEG Monitoring.

An EEG is used by a neurologist to determine whether there are any irregular electrical activities occurring in the brain which may produce seizures. It can help identify the location, severity, and type of seizure disorder. An abnormal EEG does not diagnose epilepsy nor does a normal EEG reading exclude it.

Video EEG Monitoring — has my vote! Seeing EEG and video data at the same time, permits precise correlation between seizure activity in the brain and the patient's behavior during seizures. Video-EEG can be vital in the diagnosis of epilepsy and epileptic seizures. It allows the doctor to determine: whether events with unusual features are epileptic seizures"026the type of epileptic seizure, and"026the region of the brain from which the seizures arise.

Continuous Video EEG Monitoring — studies the brain waves over time. A patient stays in a special unit for at least 24 hours. Antiepileptic medication is stopped for the duration of this test, since the objective is for seizures to occur so the abnormal brain waves they produce can be recorded.

A video camera connected to the EEG provides constant monitoring, enabling the medical team to pinpoint the area where a seizure occurs and track the patient's physiological response to the seizure. Continuous monitoring can also help distinguish between epilepsy and other conditions. It can characterize the seizure type for more precise medication adjustments and locate the originating area of seizures within the brain.

CAT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) or CT (Computed Tomography) — allows physicians to examine the brain, section by section, as the test is being conducted. The CAT scan helps to point to where a person's seizures originate.

MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) — This detailed picture of brain structures helps physicians locate possible causes of seizures and identify areas that may generate seizures. An MRI offers doctors the best chance of finding the source of seizures. Because seizures can arise from scar tissue in the brain, an MRI can show scar tissue and allow doctors to determine the nature of it. The images produced from the MRI are extremely precise. The information provided by MRI is valuable in the diagnosis and treatment of individuals with epilepsy.

Functional MRI takes images in "real-time" sequence and faster than the traditional MRI. It's more precise and is often used to create a map of the brain and indicate where language, motor and sensory areas are located. From the image, the neurological team can locate the exact seizure area of the brain.

MEG (Magnetoencephalography) — this technique has been available for several decades, but it is only recently that scanners involving the whole head have been available. MEG is most often used to find the precise point in the brain where the seizures start by detecting the magnetic signals generated by neurons. With these signals, doctors can monitor brain activity at different points in the brain over time, revealing different brain functions. While MEG is similar in concept to EEG, it does not require electrodes andit can detect signals from deeper in the brain than an EEG.

Hope this helps...

Phylis Feiner Johnson
www.epilepsytalk.com

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center