Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Post seizure headaches for days?
RobertB64 posted:
My wife had a seizure (her first) 4 days ago and has consistantly had a severe headache ever since. I know headaches are a post seizure side effect but is this unusual? She has suffered from occasional migrains for years now and isn't sure if this is a migrain or an ordinary headache. Should she be taking ibuprofan or her migrain medication? We've tried both but had little success releiving her pain. We tried a percocet and that seemed to help. Is it okay for her to keep taking percocet occasionally?

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Robert,

Post-seizure recovery can be the same, in some cases, yet, different for each individual &/or seizure.

And Headaches/migraines have been linked w/ Epilepsy.

I am not a DR so really can't say if she should continue w/ the Percocet. She needs to discuss that w/ her DR. My Opinion: I see no reason not to, though, if she isn't on other medications.

For now, Start an Epilepsy Journal! (more info under Tips. ) Include ALL info about the seizure & her Recovery. Plus, what & when she has taken something to help relieve her headaches.

If you would like to try a Home Cure, I know one that works. :) Large Lemon Peel. Rub oil on temples/forehead. Tie to forehead w/ bandanna. I guess ya leave it on till headache is gone. :) Massage Therapy helps, too. I know I can take a headache away w/in mins. :)

If you are interested I will post a Link for you about the Research done on Headaches/Epilepsy. Let me know. :)

Robert, Epilepsy has a lot of Myths & Facts. I do hope you & your wife will Educate yourself about Epilepsy & all it's aspects, including Treatments.

Recommended Reading: Treating Epilepsy Naturally by Pat Murphy You could chek w/ your local Library 'Research Librarian' for availability or purchase on Amazon.com :)

Tips: Practice seizure 1st Aid. Not all seizures require the ER. :)
No More Baths (unless supervised). Invest in a Hand-held shower & bath seat. Consider a Monitor in the bathroom. No more Driving. Common Sense Rules! :) Keep a Camcorder charged & ready, in case she has another 'episode'.

See a Neurologist ASAP!

Questions for DR: http://www.nomoreseizures.com/

Stay in Touch. Know I care.

Love Candi

RobertB64 replied to dancer86442's response:
Thanks so much Candi. We'll try the lemon peel. Also, if you could post that link about the research done on Headaches/Epilepsy, that would be great.
Much appreciated,
Robert

dancer86442 replied to RobertB64's response:
Hello Robert,

Ready for some homework? :) Here is everything I had saved. Please bookmark/save & browse when ready. If it gets tooo Technical, just read between the lines. :)

Medical Conditions associated w/ Migraines -Epilepsy-stroke-Anxiety-Depression
http://www.realage.com/check-your-health/chronic-pain-management/medical-conditions-associated-with-migraines

This is the first report I read YRS ago. :)
Researchers Report Those with Epilepsy Have More Migraines
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/record/archives/vol20/vol20_iss16/record2016.15.html

What are the causes of Seizures & Headaches?
http://www.ehow.com/list_6403515_causes-seizures-headaches_.html

Epilepsy Migraine-More than just a headache
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/20011979/Epilepsy-Migraine%E2%80%94More-than-just-a-headache/

Hope this helps in some way. Give your wife a Hug for me. Assure her, she isn't Alone! And she is Still a Normal Person! :)

At the bottom of this page is a Blue Link for the Epilepsy Health Center. Chek out Coping & Living w/ Epilepsy for More info. Plus, we have lots of Resources to browse. :)

I'm here everyday. Please, keep us posted. :) Hugs for you, too. :)

Love Candi

RobertB64 replied to dancer86442's response:
Thanks again Candi. Lots of reading to do now. Finally solved the headache problem. It was migraines, she just needed to take more medication. Really appreciate all the resorces.

ewolfe314 responded:
Hi Robert,
I know I'm different from most people with regards to headaches while suffering seizures. All my Dr.'s at first asked me if I had headaches after looking at all my MRI's and CT scans. But low and behold I had a brain tumor and it was removed in 1988. Roughly about 10 to 12 years ago I started getting really bad headaches that just seemed to last forever. My nuerologist told me to take bayer migraine aspirin. But after reading the lable and seeing all the problems that it can cause,I called my Family Dr. and he prescribed Vicodin for me. Finally we concluded what was giving me the headaches,it was the new wall to wall carpeting that we had installed. Ended up the carpeting has a petroleum base in it. After opening all the windows,thankfully it was summertime,in 3 weeks the headaches stopped. But if I were you I would definetly get opinions on which medication is the best to take. Hope that helps a bit as most anything can cause migraines and it can be the simpliest thing.

John

tonyb278379 replied to ewolfe314's response:
I going through the same thing that you are but I spoke to my doctor about it and my seizures are under control for now but I still have headaches and seizures 1-2 times each month and anxiety and schizophrenia too.

Michael66049 responded:
Robert, I take 10 or15 grams of Percocet daily, with my Dr.'s consent (obviously, since I can't write the Rx myself). I have no side effects other than severe constipation, plus of course some relief from my chronic pain.
I also have seizure disorder, and that is something your wife needs to see a doctor, preferably a real neurologist, about. Before I got mine under control, I shredded the inside of my cheek, bit the tip of my tongue hard, and fell out of my wheelchair. No headache, thank heaven, but plenty of adverse effects. If your wife has another seizure within the next few months, you can be sure it's something chronic that must be looked into quickly. Best of luck to both of you.

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center