Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Is there such a thing as just a seizure-disorder or epilepsy
ewolfe314 posted:
Just as the title says. I have been on Meds for seizure disorder for many a years and not once have I heard Epilepsy from any of my Dr.'s.. Now all the meds that I am taking are Epilepsy drug related.

First dilantin and phenobarbital for exactly 22 years and now Keppra(generic) and phenobarbital for the past 4 to 5 months.

Is there a difference in seizure disorders and Epilepsy?

Whenever I go to my nuero Dr. he says that I have seizure disorders due to the brain surgery that I had. Never has anyone of them mentioned Epilepsy,not even the nuero surgeon back in 1988. Just curious..

John

dancer86442 responded:
Hi John,

Maybe the reason your DR says Seizure Disorder, is cuz the CDC changed so much terminology.

But, yes, seems to me there Used to be a difference. A seizure disorder was caused by things Not associated w/ the brain (ie:drug/alcohol abuse, w/drawl, etc) Epilepsy was if you had more then 2 seizures.

Now, Some DRS say it's Seizure Disorder w/ either Generalized (alcohol/drug, etc) or Idiopathic (genetic to Cause unknown) Why they changed the Terms. Someone felt Epilepsy was a Label that included All seizures. (I think) I know I read about it on the CDC site. :( But, it sure can be confusing. Cuz, 1 DR Will say Epilepsy, another Seizure Disorder. Guess it depends on what they were 'taught'. :(

And John, the meds you are on are to prevent further seizures. No matter what the 'cause'. And Pheno's Have been used for other symptoms/disorders. Anxiety, for one. :) I was watching a show the other nite, where a DR offered another DR 16mg, of Pheno's, cuz, the guy was 'sooo Upset'. :)

Maybe the CDC site can answer your question Better then I did. :)

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center