Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Sensory seizures
sbncmo posted:
I'm sure most of us have had the auras or sensory SPS's. And any of us that have had the sensory seizures with their odd smells really dislike them. I've been having them for the last several days. The particular odors I've been smelling is BO, armpit stink! It's terrible! Sometimes I walk into the kitchen or the bathroom or our home office, and I smell stinky armpit. I've asked my husband & my son if they smell it, but they never do. And it's not every time I walk into a room. But it is nasty! I don't remember having any other seizure after having the smell, so I'm assumig it is a sensory seizure.

Anyone else have this?

Shelia

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Shelia,

Yes, I do. So, we do have something in common. But, rite now my mind is 'blank' as to what the 'odors' were.

I've had a few bad days. Nothing seizure related. But, just as debilitating. My health: COPD, Sinuses, backaches, Flash Pains, Started in temple & has now moved down behind my ear. I seem to recall my last dentist telling me the 'flash pains' were due to infection. But, Hubby is still wanting to take me to Mexico.

Then Yesterday, my son & his GF took our dogs to the park. They Love running in the 'green'. Well I guess the Pup was chasing Maiden & when Maiden stopped (cuz she had reached the post) the Mutt Pup bowled rite into her. Hubby forked out over $500 for tests. (yet , he said he couldn't afford a dentist for me. ) Anyway, She has a ruptured disk. Could have been worse. The vet thought maybe Spinal Fracture. Glad she was wrong. I was ready to have my Girl put to sleep. She can't use her back legs, but, this should cease w/in a few days. Hopefully.

Hubby just showed me an interesting article. The majority of pet owners will choose the pet over the spouse. Very True in my household.

Love Candi

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to dancer86442's response:
Oh Candi - I just had to google after seeing your post and I found this:

The survey of 24,000 people in 23 countries found 21 percent of adults would rather spend February 14 with their pet than their spouse

I hope your pup is feeling better!!!!!

Haylen

sbncmo replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi Candi,

I totally understand all the other health issues. I saw the pulmonologist yesterday. He said I DO have asthma, not a muscular lung disease (I'm thankful for that!). The asthma doesn't show up bad on the tests since I'm regularly taking meds for it. But he said my lungs are being compressed because of my weight & asked about the weight problem. I told him how I was put on a med 5 years ago that made me gain 60 pounds in a month, I've never been able to lose it no matter what I try, that it changed me so much that I haven't even worn a winter coat since then (and Missouri winters can be cold). hen I said that the last 6 months have been spent trying to find an epilepsy med to work & I've gained another 20 pounds from that. He looked back at the previous test & said, yep - 20 pounds. I told him my pain is so severe that I can't exercise, but that may change if the epidural works this week. He was very understanding about the complex circle of health issues, you know - need to exercise but can't because of pain, lack of exercise contributes to weight gain, weight gain make pain worse, & so on & so on.

My husband said afterward that since a med caused the weight gain, a med should get rid of the weight. I looked up obesity meds. There are some, but most say don't take if you have seizures or depression or this or that & they all say they are habit forming. But I did find a couple that I might be able to take & will discuss it with my doc. I want to lose weight. I know it contributes to my back pain & it certainly makes me depressed.

Anyway, today I had an MRI of my spine. They gave me a disc to take to my back doctor on Friday. I looked at it. There is definately a bad curve in my spine & it looked like some large bulging disks. So I don't know if the epidural on Friday will help me or not.

Well, all of this is off the subject of sensory seizures, but I do understand what you are feeling, Candi. And I'm sorry your hubby won't take you to the dentist. I love my pets very much, but they kinda take a back seat to our health needs.

When do you go to Mexico? I hope you feel better before you go. Have fun.

I'd still like to hear about anyone else having the sensory/smell seizures - what they smell.

Shelia

chomper99 replied to sbncmo's response:
Certain smells used to make me have seizures. like if i smelled eggs or meat around the same time after having a seizure and still felt weird for afew days. Its like the smells were dejavu in a way it brings back the fealings in my head and its linked to the smell. I know it sounds complicated. I havent had an attack from any smells in many years though, I think that only happened back when i was a teen when my condition was much worse. after having a seizure though food and drinks still taste weird.

Certain office building smells to kinda made me feel weird sometimes. about 2 years ago I went to visit my grandparents and my grandpa took me with him to see one of his cousins. his cousins place had one of those weird smells, Kinda gave me the dejavu a little but didnt cause a seizure. I just try to ignore it and put my mind on something else and it helps. dont the let the smell or what ever is causing you to have a seizure control you. you control it. put your mind on something else.

dancer86442 replied to chomper99's response:
Well, I just recalled sensory smell that occurs most often w/ me. Walking into a room, smelling Strong ammonia smell. Like old or cat litter, Pet Urine. Son & Hubby do not smell this foul odor. It lasts brief seconds, yet seems an eternity, B4 your senses forget that odd odor. Thank Goodness, I ain't had 1 in a few Yrs. Oh, also burning (wood?) or bacon? Something smoky? Only me nose Knows.

Love Candi

mottis responded:
try to do this sensory testing for your problem

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center