Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
MMR and tetanus Vaccine
An_200736 posted:
Well start off by saying I'm an epileptic have been since the age of 18, however I have been seizure free and med free for 10 years now. That is until a few nights ago I'm a new mom, again, and my lil man woke at around 3am, so I got up made him a bottle, fed him but the bottle I made him didn't satisify him so I went to make him a couple more ounces, at some point I had a seizure. I didn't realize this that night I wasn't holding my son when this happened *thank god* but I obviously picked myself up off the floor picked him up off the couch brought him to bed and went to bed myself. I woke up my face hurting and soaked pants. Now my question is I had the MMR and tetanus vaccine 2 days before this happened , could that be the reason for the sudden return of my seizures? I haven't had one since but its really bothering me. Thanks to any that answer.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Mom,

Congrats on the 'little man'. And, Yes, I too, "Thank God" you weren't holding him. I was still adjusting to a new med after my son came home. It was hard, but, no incidents.

Ok, as to your question. I don't think they have done any Research into the affects of 'shots of any kind' & Epilepsy incidents. But, it sure don't sound 'coincidental'. Although there is another possibility. Hormone changes after birth of babe, can re-trigger seizures.

My best advice: do some 'Homework' on Catamenial Seizures (under Resources) & make an appt w/ a neuro ASAP! Also, start a Journal! Info as to Everything to include is under Tips.

Please, don't let it worry you to much. Just Go & be Tested to Be Sure.

Love Candi

GroveCanada responded:
Yes there is a direct connection between the tetanus shot & seizures & epilepsy...Proven correlations(legal) exist for even symptoms appearing 6 years after the shot...
*I am looking into Wild Indigo Root & other Indium sources(it comes in tinctures & as a metal that could be worn against the skin), as alternative anti-seizure remedies...

dancer86442 replied to GroveCanada's response:
Hello GroveCanada,

Welcome to the WebMD Epilepsy Community. Do you have a Link to More info about the Tetanus shot? I know the Flu shots are Bad, due to Mercury as being an ingredient, But, didn't know about Tetanus shots. I recall having a Tetanus shot after being on my meds for over 5 yrs, but, don't recall having any seizures. Course I didn't know about keeping a Journal back then, either.

I do hope you will keep us updated on your 'alternatives' & how they work for You! Hugs

Love Candi

P.S. The post you replied to is 3 or more yrs Old. I don't Think the person who posted it is still w/ us. But, I am Always here. Always 'Listening'.

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center