Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Nightguards and seizures
katiedid137 posted:
I chomp my teeth in my sleep and it's causing my teeth to fracture, my dentist said that the only way I can save my teeth is to wear a nightguard, even though they are very secure there is still chance that they can fall out.. I have seizures in my sleep and my fear is that if the guard comes out during a seizure it could become a choking hazard.. Does anyone know if it is safe for an epileptic to wear a mouthguard?

dancer86442 responded:
Kati,

Do you realize during a seizure our jaws can lock up as tite as a Pitt Bulls? In other words, anything in your mouth will be bitten threw &/or chewed up. Seems to me it's not only a choke hazard. You could still Break your teeth. Did you tell your dentist you have Nite seizures?
My Opinion, in case you didn't already get it : NO! PPL aren't supposed to put their fingers or objects in our mouths during a seizure. So, how else could they remove it safely? Ain't no way I can think of.

What I can suggest is you visit other sites & ask if anyone has come up w/ an alternative to help.

Love Candi

dancer86442 replied to dancer86442's response:
Kati,

Was doing some homework & found this. It may help some w/ Tips to avoid grinding teeth.

http://www.medicinenet.com/teeth_grinding_bruxism/article.htm

Since seizures &/or teeth grinding are linked to stress, I figure lowering your stress is #1 Priority.

Love Candi

meredithc18 responded:
katie,
i also have seizures and wear a nightguard (well, had seizures, I had brain surgery june 1, 2010 and haven't had a seizure since). but I have worn a nightguard for over 10 years due to an accident that knocked out my front teeth and caused head trauma and my seizures. grinding my teeth would break my front teeth, so i had to wear the night guard. i am not sure if you get the "auruas" or not, but when i would get one in the night, i would immediately spit out the night guard, because i felt like i had too much in my mouth. you know? like too much spit and stuff. i never choked on it. i have had many sz. in the night and i slept every night with the guard in.

katiedid137 replied to dancer86442's response:
thanks for the website. I don't grind or clench but chomp really hard like im chewing something.. I don't know if its during a seizure or if it's related to cause of teeth grinding. But I'll definitely check out that website

katiedid137 replied to meredithc18's response:
Thanks for the response, that's good to know

An_252681 responded:
I have seizures and grind my teeth. I have worn a night guard because my teeth hurt so bad after having a seizure. Make sure the dentist make it tough enough. I did bite through my first one. My dentist had make it harder. Make sure he knows you have seizures.

jenbayly17 replied to An_252681's response:
I grind my teeth and have a history of seizures as well, the night guard I feel more comfortable with is Dentek custom fit night guard because it forms around all of your teeth on the top. I bit through the ones that the dentist made for me and bust them. I just replace the Dentek one and you can get coupons for them in weekly grocery coupons every once in a while.

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center