Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Epilepsy Advocacy Letter -- Part #1
phylisfeinerjohnson posted:
I've been stuffing mailboxes in my area, trying to make a dent in epilepsy awareness. You might write a letter of your own or feel free to use this as a model:

Dear Friend / Neighbor,

This isn't a note asking for money. (Although feel free to donate if you want to!)

It's about epilepsy. Because even though over 3 million Americans have it (more than Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, and Parkinson's Disease combined), no one seems to want to talk about it.

[Insert your own story here>

Anyway, this isn't a pity party. It's to tell you about epilepsy and what you can do to help a person having a seizure?and maybe even save a life.

Here's some simple first aid:

1. Turn the person on his side, so he/she doesn't choke.
2. Put something soft under his/her head.
3. Clear the area of both people and objects.
4. Do not put anything in his/her mouth.
5. And if the seizure lasts for more than three minutes, call 911.

It's nice for someone to stick around and reassure the person. Give them a hug. Tell them it's ok. Because, I promise you, it's very embarrassing to have a seizure in public.

But it didn't stop Alexander the Great?Aristotle?Alfred the Great?Alfred, Lord Tennyson? Vincent van Gogh?Charles Dickens?Alfred Nobel?Edgar Allen Poe?Gustave Flaubert? Fyodor Dostoevsky?Lewis Carroll?and Bud Abbott, among others.

I've enclosed a sheet about epilepsy myths and facts. Because there's a chance you might know someone who has epilepsy. It could be a friend, neighbor, co-worker or loved one. And I think you would help them immeasurably by knowing more about epilepsy.

Thanks for listening?

Signature
Name
Address
Phone Number [Optional>
Email Address [Optional>

Phylis Feiner Johnson
www.epilepsytalk.com

dancer86442 responded:
Thank You Phylis,

This is really a Great idea. I hope others, including me, follow thru & hopefully More PPL will become aware &/or at least know how to deal w/ a seizure situation.

Love Candi.

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center