Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Epilepsy and tanning beds
GreenBayPackergirl posted:
Hello, I'm new here. My question may not sound like an emergency but I would like to know if anyone has an answer for me. My daughter, 33, has epilepsy from a head injury at age 9. Her seizures are not often but when they occur, they are always grand mal. She wants to go to a tanning salon this summer but I am not certain this is a good idea or not. Would the tanning lights possibly bring on a seizure? Any responses would be so appreciated. Thanks!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
NO. Epilepsy aside, tanning beds are a horrible idea for everyone.

Please read this article Tanning Beds Triple Melanoma Risk

There are a variety of sunless options to get the "tan" look that is popular now! Check out this article:

Summer Buyers' Guide: Sunless Tanning Lotions

Thank you for checking in here!

Haylen

GreenBayPackergirl replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Haylen. I did read the article re: melanoma risk. I will pass this information on to my daughter.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to GreenBayPackergirl's response:
Great! Print it out, highlight and wrap it in a bottle of sunless tanner

Take care!

Haylen

dancer86442 responded:
Hi,

I agree w/ Haylen. There is info all over the web about tanning beds & possible cancer risks. But, if she is 'determined' to visit the spa & proceed w/ tanning bed, please have her discuss it w/ her DR/Neuro First! Fluorescent lites Can affect some who are 'photosensitive'.There is an ongoing discussion about tanning beds on Epilepsy.com, also. You mite want to chek it out & see what others have to say. But, I think we have pretty much said it all.

Love Candi

georgiaramos responded:
I feel that everyone has their own opinion of the indoor tanning.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2006, I personally have not had any problems with the tanning salons. I do it in the summer and sometimes in the winter. As long as she starts out slow n sees how it does with her. I had to do that myself for the fact that my seizures are triggured by stress, heat, smells, and certain lights.. I did a trial n error idea just like we all have to do with meds.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to georgiaramos's response:
georgiaramos - I'm glad that you have not had any problems with indoor tanning.

But I need to reiterate (and this is not my own opinion) that indoor tanning can lead to skin cancer . And there are healthy alternatives.

Haylen

charliesalsero responded:
I'd suggest you consult your doctor first. Some seizures are provoked when there is visual stimulation or stress. I have a tanning salon and have a couple of clients that have epilepsy and their personal physician had no problem with them tanning. I've had no events provoked by tanning beds.

Please read this article http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/12/vitamin-d-deficiency-on-epilepsy.aspx

As to Haylen's comment regarding tanning beds being "horrible", well that's her opinion. People have died drowning, should will ban water as well??? How do you think that something so essential to LIFE is much more harmful?? Some RESPONSIBLE doctors will suggest 10 to 15min of sunlight per day because you obtain vital Vitamin D when you expose your skin to healthy sunlight.

Or I might be wrong... Maybe we should block out the sun entirely since is so harmful.. Lets see how long humanity lasts without the sun.

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center