Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
If you didn?t have epilepsy, how would you change your life?
phylisfeinerjohnson posted:
I have to admit, I'd still be a writer. Writing is my passion, it's what gets me up in the morning and I couldn't imagine living without it.
Yes, sometimes I can't find the keyboard, sometimes I can't think straight and sometimes, I can't concentrate.
Be since I'm a freelancer, it will always be there, waiting for me.
Others aren't as fortunate, I know. They want to be in the military, the medical field, teach, go to college or graduate school, be an engineer, work in retail, DRIVE?the list is endless.
But if you did have the options — without epilepsy haunting you — what would you choose to do?

Phylis Feiner Johnbson
www.epilepsytalk.com

dancer86442 responded:
I would be a Counselor w/ a Degree! Which was my goal B4 seizures struck. I wanted to be able to Counsel men & women returning from Active Duty. Ironically, the Military Diagnosed me w/ Seizure Disorder.

But, my EP has given me the opportunity to Counsel (w/out a degree) those who are struggling in our world of Ep. And I 'practice' counseling non-Ep kids/teens/adults that have always found their way to me.

So, in a sense, it ain't what I chose, it's what chose me! Make sense?

HUGS

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi phylis,

Before my seizures began in '75 I was thinking about medical school. I carried a B A GPA through most of my schools years prior to the first seizure in March '75. The meds made it hard for me to immediately recall info when I was taking tests. Also the meds/seizures made it difficult to study and retain info.

I started working with the elementary schools while I was taking a medical leave from college. I was then studying journalism, Like you, I always had a style or passion for writing.

After my first year as classroom volunteer, I changed my studies to early education. The kids and I just hit it off. I felt that I belonged in the classroom.

If epilepsy hadn't come into my life I probably would have gone to medical school. I have no regrets about working with the kids cause they brought me a peace of mind and a lot of love.
I often think that if I didn't have epilepsy that I might not have found a profession that brings the love and concern that the kids have given me over the past 25(or more) years.

Strange how one's path is often presented to them. I still keep a pen and pad on hand so that I'll be ready to jot any notes for a short story or piece of prose.

angie

phoenix_sun responded:
if I did not have EP I would be in the ER as a medic treating patients etc. I was a paramedic and when my szs started they would not ler me practice any more. I ahd to let the licence run out which was a uear left on it.

I passed the boards on it but can do NOTHING with anything anymore becuase the szs are to unpredictable.

What would occur if I were to have a sz while working. I would probably drop something or fall down myself.

I would be working in the ERm becuase of the ep. I would not be able to be in a truck becuase I was WAY to not able to. I was at risk for droping cots, patients, equipment etc,

NO way, so they took the licence, and now I can not work or drive. The other alternative for a nother job that would have interestitated me was working as a certified pharmacy technition, but what would happen if I were checking someone out and startred to have a sz. NOT good at all!

I have Complex Partial szs of the left Temporal Lobe.

For the most part they are all tehsame.

ONce in a while I will have one or 2 that are wandering rather than the lip licking and smacking and arms getting stiff and feet turned in.

So my neuro will NOT let me work!

That is it.

phoenix_sun

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center