Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Question
KathleenLourdes posted:
Hi everyone!! Well, I'm here to ask about seizures, as far as I know I don't have them, but one doctor thinks I might?

You see, I've been having a non-stop migraine for 2 years now, literally non-stop. On top of that I've been having floaters and vision problems. I have memory problems sometimes as well.

Since they can't figure out what it is (although I've been diagnosed 3x with a disease, and un-diagnosed as well), one doctor suggested I might be having "mini-seizures". Now, wouldn't I or someone else notice if I had something like that happening?

I know NOTHING about seizures because I know only 1 person who has them, and no one in my family has ever had them.

I'm very doubtful that I'm having them, but the doctor suggested it..
I had an EEG 2 years ago and it was clean.

Any thoughts?

clarinet2 responded:
Kathleen, EEG tests may not always show seizure activity depending on the patient's body. I would suggest having another EEG since it has been two years.

If you have been having migraines this could happen from stress. I would recommend having an MRI to rule out a tumor. Document your migraines when they happen: after a stressful day. If you are still having your menstrual cycles this can play a big factor with your situation.

I had never heard of seizures after I was diagnosed so just take this situation one day at a time, but keep asking questions to the doctors. If you have not seen a neurologist yet, please start looking for one or get a referral from your regular doctor.

You will be amazed at how much you learn from others citizens who have walked the same path as you.

Dana

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Kathleen,

Clarinet2 texted me earlier about your concerns. I don't have much more to add than what Dana has already shared.

I can say that my first 2 yrs of eegs showed no abnormal spikes. Though a ped had witnessed one, he was hesitant to say "epilepsy". That was 36 yrs ago.

I was told that my seizures were so fast moving that the standard eeg was having trouble picking them up. "Mini-seizures"? I have never heard them descriped as such. Petit mal or simple, yes. Is it possible that your "episodes" are also moving so fast that they are hard to recognize by the human eye?

You say that your last eeg was clean. Well, timing can be of importance when looking for anything. Technology has definitely changed since your last one. It seems like it is time for a new one.

Are you feeling doubtful about the idea of seizures because you are afraid?

Like Dana, I had never heard of the words seizure or epilepsy prior to my first one in '75. Doctors...tests... meds.... I think Dana has put you on the right path as far as getting a nerulogist. Check out all avenues: stress, menstuals, diet, weather, etc. Anything you can think of.

It helped me and my doctors when I kept a journal of all events surrounding my seizures. Get your list of questions ready for your next appt.

Keep Dana and I updated. We'll be looking for you and wish you the best.

angie

BTW Dana and I met when I lived in Mpls. We had the same medical team of epileptologists. They hooked us up prior to my lobectomy in '02. Ask us all your questions.

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Kathleen,

I think I can safely say that ALL of us, at one time, Knew Nothing about Seizures. I heard the word once as a teen. Again, when diagnosed at 27. Took me 10 More yrs to start Learning about what they were. I didn't even Know what a Convulsion meant. A yr later I was told my Sister had Nite seizures. I still had No Clue what it all meant. Except to keep the kids Quiet that day. In my 40's I discovered me & Sis had seizures as a Toddler. After trying a med change, I joined WebMD & started Learning.

So, to Start: There are, at least, 40 Types of Seizures. Known World-wide. About 20 , are recognized by DRs/Researchers', here in the US. Epilepsy is Not all about Convulsions. Seizures can happen in the blink of an eye. Or can last 30 seconds to 2-3 min. Severe seizures, known as Status Epilepsy, can last up to 5 min. and over 20 min.

'Mini-seizures' seems to be a new term DRs are using. I believe what they are describing is what we know as aura's or petit mal/ simple partials, as Angie said. Resources: Epilepsy Faqs link will answer a Lot of questions about seizures. Chek out Questions for DR, too.

About 15 yrs ago, Researchers discovered that Migraine's & Headaches are/can be associated w/ Epilepsy. Use the 'Search This Exchange' tool next to Post. Type in 'Migraines' & some of my Previous posts concerning headaches/ Migraines will have links. Please save/bookmark & read when you get the chance. Knowledge is Power. And it won't hurt to Know as Much or a Little More than your DRS. In fact, for anyone w/ Epilepsy (or any other Illness/disorder) That is Highly Recommended!

The ladies suggested a Journal. Please read Journals by Meetz posted under Tips. It can/will help you & your DRS sooo much! Hugs! Please keep us posted. Know We Care!

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center