Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Can Odors Such As Perfumes Provoke A Seizure?
Anon_35109 posted:
I have a really good sense of smell. Over the last eight months I have noticed that some smells provoke strange sensations in my body. Some reactions are shivers, others I can't explain but I notice physical reactions to certain odors. The smells vary it can be perfumes to smells inside buildings and such. The smell can be intense or enough to be noticed. I am concerned that if exposed to these certain odors for an extended period of time could provoke a seizure. I was diagnosed with Complex Partial Seizures a couple of years ago. It was determined that the left temporal lobe was the area affected. I am currently on medication for seizures. There have been several times I felt I was on the verge of having a seizure after smelling something. Not something that's dangerous! They are smells I encounter in every day life.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello 35109,

YES! Here is a great site that lists ALL Triggers. Scroll down to read about Odors/perfumes.

http://www.2betrhealth.com/Other-Triggers-for-Seizures.html

I suggest you carry a cotton Hankie w/ you to cover your nose & mouth when around Heavy Odors.

Love Candi

tncabell responded:
After my worst seizure we had to take out this air fresher and i had to change my deodorant. the smells made me sick. seizures cause your senses to be heightened so it possible it could be a trigger for you.

dancer thanks for the list. i am going to show my husband because he thinks i am nuts sometimes when i say certain things are triggers for me.

Jenn

dancer86442 replied to tncabell's response:
Hi Jenn,

I ain't sure ALL Triggers are listed. But, the one's she listed are the Most prominent. A pattern in your Journal entries will help Identify Triggers. (And Prove to Hubby you ain't NUTS!) Keep in mind: Some of us are 'unique' in what we experience. Seizure Symptoms/activity & Triggers.

Definitely show Hubby! He should, as your caretaker, be aware of seizure Types & Triggers. And whatever else you can get him to Learn about EP.

Love Candi

phoenix_sun responded:
they can. the smell of artificial strwberry anthing puts meto a tail spin . I have an aura, brace myself adn then it hits, but that was before the VNS, now I can stop them.

phoenix_sun

seizureshurtme replied to dancer86442's response:
The list is not accessible. Could you please send me the list again .

dancer86442 replied to seizureshurtme's response:
Yes, that is an old post/site. It became unavailable, yrs ago. But, I do know another site that lists 'odd' triggers.

Oh dear. Something is wrong & this post won't let me add a URL to another site. So, check our Tips & or Resources for epilepsytalk.com or use your search Engine. Her site is free & no need to join to read her articles. Locate Search Tool in her Menu & type in odd triggers.

Love Candi

BTW: Welcome to our Community. If you have More questions or just need to vent, we are listening. Hugs!
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center