Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Hello Generics, Goodbye Big-Name Drugs
phylisfeinerjohnson posted:
From NPR 05:22 am October 24, 2011 by FRED MOGUL
Some of the most popular and expensive brand-name drugs are about to go generic.

Take Lipitor , for example. In November, the heart drug comes off-patent — and by next June, there are likely to be multiple generic versions.
With almost $11 billion in sales last year, it's the largest blockbuster to fall off what analysts call the "patent cliff." And it's just one of dozens of popular high-end pharmaceuticals whose prices are expected to plummet in the coming years, including drugs like Plavix (for heart disease), Seroquel (used to treat depression) and Nexium (for digestive problems.)

Patients often pay more for name-brand drugs, even when they're covered by insurance. Sometimes they have no choice because — unlike Lipitor — many drugs don't yet have generic competition.
And there are dozens of big-name drugs that are about to join the generic trainâ?¦

Good news or bad news? Read on:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/24/141596137/big-name-drugs-are-falling-off-the-patent-cliff?ft=1&f=100

Phylis Feiner Johnson
www.epilepsytalk.com

dancer86442 responded:
Good News for Patients who aren't on Epilepsy meds. As we have discovered, ppl w/ Ep who switch (due to: on purpose or accidental Pharmacy refill) from name brand to generic or vice versus, do not adapt so well.

clarinet2 replied to dancer86442's response:
Candi,
You are very correct about neurological medications. Where I work of course generic brands are trying to be used first accept in the case of anyone using medications for neurological reasons (depression, epilepsy etc). There have been too many incidents with seizures happening when patients have been switched from brand to generic.

The reason why doctors do not want to change is there may be too many liability law suits if a patient is switched from brand to generic and in our case a seizure happens. My neurologist and I discussed this and we both agreed that it was not worth the switch.

It is the insurance companies that we need to watch out for because they have denied paying for brand names and want patients to switch to generic for seizure disorders. We pay so much for insurance and you would think that they would realize how much I am saving them by only having to see my neurolgist once per year compared to every 3-6 months in the past!

I am concerned how I am going to pay for the two medications as I get older and god only knows if I will be others due to age.

Dana

hawiian_girl_73 replied to clarinet2's response:
hi Dana.

My name is NAncy and I am from Hawii.

My insurance will only pay for generics, however VImpat has NOT geneirc yet, So I stioll have to take the braind name. That is covered all by my insurance.

I have to take generric Lamictal, and Klonopin.

My body seems to adjust well to changes, but I guess that is becuase I have only had genircs.

I fly into the mainland to see my neuro and I see him every 2-3 months.

there was a problem with the insurance about a year or so ago, that they wanted my Neuro to quit giving me the low doses he was giving to me, 6 pills of lamictal , and so me and my doc had to fight it out to find a dose that the insuance would accept. Finally they came to a desion to have min give me 200 in the am 200 in the afternoon and 200 at bedtime. No problems since them.

my daughter takes ganeric Keppra and it is STILL expensive, and Triletal all generic and all still not affordalve. But we have to pay for it so she has to get her szs under control.

My other daughter who was 13 at the time she died from EP a rare form of JME nad there was notheing we could due about that. The docs just could NOT get a handle or a grip on it becuase it was so bad, and she died. IT was not becuase they didn't do everything they could it was too late and too hard to control. Both my kids and I have VNSs.

HI Girl

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center