Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
trileptal?? causes more seizures???
leslieann67 posted:

Wondering about something my son & his use of the medication trileptal. My son use 2 have just one seizure @ night about every 7 to 10 days. then after 5 months being on trlieptal he has seizures during the day (twice he had 4 in oneday) and now different kinds of seizures ( before grand mal @ night only). Now he is having grand mal,simple complex & absence ones. Has anyone else had an experience with trileptal causing more and differenty kinds of seizures???? I read one of the side effects could be more seizures. I have talked to the doctor about it already, we are switching to lamictal and if he gets better get rid of the trileptal(slowly). Love anyones thoughts!

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Leslie,

I have never tried Trileptal, but, a lot of our meds have side effects that may or may not affect any one individual. If you chek our Drug Tab at top there are comments from other users of Trileptal that may prove helpful. But, since we all tend to react differently, your son may just be the 'odd' one who reacts that way to that med. Thank Goodness the Dr is taking him off it.
Did the Doc run a blood test to chek his med Levels? If his system wasn't processing the med properly, it would show toxic levels, which Mite explain increase in seizures & changing Types.

In my Daughter's case meds weren't working & her seizure 'focal point' (where seizures originated) spread from one area to include the whole brain. W/in 1-2 yrs. Researchers theorize that our brain Teaches the rest of the brain to seize. Which is why it is important to achieve seizure control ASAP. But, we all know, seizure control is Iffy on any of our meds. It just depends on how our systems react to the med. It May take more than 1 med change to find the rite one for your son.

Are you keeping a Journal? If not, now, during his med change, would be a Good time to start. Read Journal Info under Tips.

Again, taking him off Trileptal IS a Good Thing! I do Hope you will, Please, keep us posted. Know I care. HUGS!

Love Candi

hawiian_girl_73 responded:
xometimes when its getting into yuor system it can take up to 3-5 w eeks and he will cont to have szs until it is at the therapetuic levels.

IT happed to me several times when my meds wiere ither being changes or doses being changed.

When I was comng off Depakote at 2000 mgs they were cross-titrating with Lamictal. I had szs until they crossed each orther and the lamictal was in my sysem snf the Depakote was falling from my system, so yes he can cont to hvae szs until thee new drug is at theraputic levels.

when i was being aken off neurontin I had a real mess going on and had szs until i was completely off it and it was completey out of my system. Took 2 weeks for it to dissapate.

right now i take 400 mgs of Vimpat, 600 mgs of Lamictal. and 3 mgs of Klonopin.

Hawiian Girl

Good lucl adn take care. I hope tha teverything wor ks out for you!

TonyJ responded:
My son has been on trileptal for several month - it has become clear to my wife and I that seizures have increased in frequency and severity since taking the meds. We are in the process of weaning off the meds.

dancer86442 replied to TonyJ's response:
Hello Tony,

Welcome to our Family here in Epland. Please feel free to share your Journey w/ Epilepsy. Your comments, concerns, support or just Venting will be heard.

Questions: Is the Trileptal being replaced by another med? How long has he had Epilepsy? Has he tried other meds to no avail? Are you aware of a de-tox recipe that can help rid his system of the Trileptal. Sometimes meds can take a long time to get out of our system. Try your Search Engine for: Blueberry Juicy. The recipe may be on Vegan.com. Made w/ Frozen Blueberries, flax & other goodies. Tastes Great!

Have you considered 'alternative treatments'? ie: Diet for children: Ketogenic Diet, Chiropractic (Specialized), & More?

How are you & your wife Coping? Have you done or are you doing, your Epilepsy Homework? I'm assuming you already know Proper Seizure First Aide. But, if you need to know more Please Ask! No Question is considered 'Stupid'. :0

Caretakers need Support, too. HUGS!

Love Candi November Is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Show your Support! Wear Purple. Hand out Purple Ribbons. Place a Black Lite in your window or on your Porch Lite. Ask your friends to do the Same. Raise Awareness. One Person, One Day, at a Time.

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center