Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
HELP!!!!!!
NvrStp posted:
I have Right Frontal Lobe Partial Sz's and never before in life. I've tried meds but only Lamictal 300 MG's BID only helps. My sz's occur 1 week and a day after the last seizure give or take a day, It's weird.I went to a Eptepologist and wants to do a partial Lobectomy. He Never even mentioned VNS only the lobectomy. I went for a second opinon and he was just a neuro doc. and the same no mention.MY WIFE found out about it. How do people live with Sz's? Still work, or protect there family when having them? I work and have them and I am so ashamed but I'm the bread winner and can't aford to even think about being ashamed because i will be more so if I could'nt feed my family....

hawiian_girl_73 responded:
I am sorry he never mentioned the VNS I have one and if you want to talk to me you can reach me at apache_spirit11@hotmail.com

begald to talk to you.

OR you can ask me aobut it on here. still be glad to talk to you.

I have had mine since sept pf 07. It wore out and I have had to have it replaced on August 25th of last year and am doing fine. I can swipe with a very high powered magnet that comes with the kit that they give you after the surgery that you can stop a sz in its tracks as well as auras.

IT shortens them and reduces the length of the post-ictal time after the sz as well.

hawii girl

clarinet2 responded:
Please aske more questions to your doctor to learn more about the lobectomy. The more questions the more you will understand. The basic information is if medications, specific diets and other alternative natural methods do not work, then the doctors usually check to see if a patient is a candidate for surgery or not.

If a patient is not a candidate for surgery then the VNS may be the next option. Some patients are candidates for one, but not the other.

If you are a candidate for one or the other get information, education videos and also get referrals to other patients who have had the procedures done. It really helps to speak with others who can share their own experiences.

I know four friends who have the VNS and four who have had lobectomies. Some are seizure free and some are not, but for the patients who are not, the seizures have decreased and made our lives much better!

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center