Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Does marijuana help anyone's seizures?
amandaseizures posted:
My boyfriend is convinced if I start smoking marijuana it will help with my seizures. As a teenager I smoked (abused-LOL) weed and stopped in my early twenties when anxiety entered my life. I am so freaked out about my increased seizure activity I need advice. I have generalized grand mal tonic-clonic seizures. I go to grad school, work as a TEACHER and dont eat right (mostly bc I dont make a lot of money right now) and sleep has always been an issue. They now have me on sleeping pills because I need sleep as an eplileptic. Should I try marijuana? I have not even tried pot in 7 years.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi amandaseizures,

I'm sorry you are having a rough time! Is your boyfriend a doctor? This is a question for a medical professional! Please do not start (or stop) any medication - prescribed or otherwise - that could impact your health without a doctor check in. Have you been charting your seizure activity and reporting to your medical team? I encourage you to do that as well!

I'm in California and there are medical marijuana laws here - a doctor can prescribe and you are legally able to possess if there is a medical benefit to the patient. HOWEVER, if you're in a state where pot is not legal for medical purposes, you could be putting your job (and freedom and income) at risk if you are ever drug tested or prosecuted for possession.

Also, what do you mean by "not eating right"? Perhaps you could give us an idea of your budget and we could suggest some low-cost AND healthy meals that will fit in with your lifestyle.

Please contact your doctor and check back in!

Haylen

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center