Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
service dog
hula_dancer73 posted:
we have decided to get a Welsh Terrier the miniuture version of the Airedale terrier.

Then training it to be a service fdog. what do ya think. Should I do this?

Not just a sz dog but a sevrice dog. I have enough disabilties that I can use one.

I have had surgeris on my feet, ankle, knees etc.

my left side is weak from falls adn the EP.

So in a month we are going to start to look for a welsh terrier.

The one we want is clear in OK City.

we are going to check it out in a month after my company leaves. GOt some friends from PHX that are coming here, since I can not go anywhere right now with my ankle.

hula_dancer73 (aka Hawiian Girl)

clarinet2 responded:
I attended a support group a few weeks ago where a Terri a woman with severe tonic clonic and other types of seizures brought her service dog with. It was an amazing story of how many broken bones and head injuries the woman had. Her dog has the VNS magnet on his collar and since she has no aura prior to the seizure, the dog jumps up and puts his collar close enough to the VNS to send the signal to stop the seizures. Check the website out called Can Do Canines.org

The service dog also can step on a button on the floor of her home which hooks up to First Alert which can get an ambulance to Terri's home.

The service dogs through this agency are not only to help with seizures, but have helped citizens with diabetes and now children wiht Autism.

clarinet2 replied to clarinet2's response:
The website's exact title is: www.can-do-canines.org

hula_dancer73 replied to clarinet2's response:
heard about a service dog traineing person on Maui called Dog Tales.

I am going to check there first since it is in HI.

Then when I get to the mainland and have more time than 24 hrs.

I will look at a place just off to the northwest of Tucson there is a breeder there for welsh terrier puppies.

the one on MAui is a breeder of Border COllies.

VERY SMART dogs.

So we shall see which way I go wth this.

hula_dancer73 (aka Hi Girl)

dancer86442 replied to hula_dancer73's response:
Hi Nancy,

I may be prejudice, but, I would go w/ the border collie. :0 I adopted Shadow from the Pound when she was 2?? Maybe less. A really Smart Dog! She was awarded a Commendation from the Park Services for Herding Cows. (It was free range in UT. & cows Always found a way into the park, despite cattle Guards. ) She had never been trained. Just knew what to do. Born instinct. Gentle & Smart!

I didn't have seizures when around her, but, she always Knew when I wasn't feeling Rite. Stayed w/ me, whenever. Till I got Maiden, my Greyhound/lab. Then they took turns. Now I have an Australian Shepard/Chow mix & a Pitt Bull mix (Thank goodness he is a very Mellow loving dog. ) I'm working w/ him now. The Aussie is an Older Dog & has bonded w/ the men in my Life. Only pays attn to me when it's feeding time, but, does respond to my commands, like a Good Dog Should.

Good Luck! Whichever Pup you get. Dogs are Human, too. Love them!

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 replied to dancer86442's response:
don't worry I am going to go with the border collie. They are my favorite breed of all time.

so I will travel to Maui to find one that will work with me until I can g et it home.

THey have one called Skye and I want to work with her.

So do not worry I am going with the border collie.

I start to work with her next month and it will take about 6 moonths they said for her to be trained aprriatly.

She has already have had some training.

SHe is 2 years old.

Hula_dancer73 (aka Hi Girl)

hula_dancer73 responded:
I get to twke home Skye today and will sart worling woth her on my isalnd becuae I can not affors to fly to Maui every week to dothis.

SO there is a group that trains dogs for EP on Oahu.

SO wish me luck.

Skye is 2 and VERy samrt.

She is the tradtinal black and white coloring.

Will keep you posted. I never had a dog tht can be taken into stores or anhting else thatis inside before I will feel REALLY stupid.

Hula_dancer73/Hi girl

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center