Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
multiple health problems
hootyowl2 posted:
Starlight mentioned that she has multiple health issues now that she has had surgery on her brain for the EP. I have EP, but have never had brain surgery, so naturally I cant exactly relate to that.

However, I have had 11 other surgeries in my life so far, and I have a lot of other health issues. Probably everyone has multiple health issues here. Most people do. Some of us probably have more than others. I just thought perhaps we could talk about some of our various health issues a little bit, and perhaps understand each other better?

In addition to the partial complex seizures, & aura headaches that I get, I also have insulin dependant diabetes, high blood pressure, tons of allergies, asthma/COPD, diabetic neuropathy, an old spinal injury, arthritis, possible heart problems [they have not yet caught up with them>, kidney stones, and probably a few more that do not come to mind at the moment.

I have 11 RXs too... Only one of them is for EP, but the neurontin is 1600 mgs/day...

Star, I hope your post surgical issues resolve themselves soon. They may have to do with the area/s of your brain that they had to operate on ? God bless.

Hooty

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Hooty,

Star said Hallucinations. I can relate. I knew about 1 I had. Daughter confirmed, yesterday, it happened more than once. I forgot to ask her if they were Always followed by seizure activity. But, I can't relate to chronic back pain or surgery. Yet, others' who have been w/ us in the past & more in the future will relate, in some way. I hope she finds a Group/forum who meets her needs. Hopefully she used our Resources.

I waited to reply to this post. I was waiting on the results of my 3rd Dexa Bone Scan. Good News: Bone Density Improved! Still in pre stage of osteoporosis. Bad News: Doc wants me to Continue w/ Fosamax, I discontinued taking that 3 mths after last bone scan. My Choice! I, too, have COPD w/ Bronchial/Asthma ( I Thought I had Outgrown Asthma. Another Silent Disorder, now. Not like as a kid. I went off Advair, last yr when DEXA showed an increase in bone density loss, becuz of its Calcium depleting abilities. Low Risk? BULL! Especially, when combined w/ my Ep med, Phenobarbitol. I am doing fine w/ my Rescue inhaler & Spiriva. No surgeries. Knock on Wood! Doc has noted I have Low Blood Pressure, also. Has similar seizure like activity. Strange feelings, visual & mental alterations, confused, drunk feeling. Legs turn to jello. Help me Lay Down. And sooo Tired afterwards. I was also dxed w/ skin cancer early last yr. 2 Types, Basal & Squamonus. Both on my face. Cream treatment (Dr said Surgery. I said Cream Therapy! He thought he had been talking w/ a Moron. ) Anyway, made my face into a huge sore for several mths, but, it's all healed & good, now.

Growing Old Ain't For Sissies! My Ep & this Forum have Helped keep me Strong. I keep going. Even when I can't go anywhere.

Love Candi

hootyowl2 replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi Candy,

I noticed that apparently people do not wish to discuss this. Whatever. I am sure we all have multiple health issues.

I may have had some hallucinations after my cataract surgeries, or it may have been a side effect of the surgery. I do not know, but for awhile, when looking at still pictures, they seemed to move and be animated. A certain cat picture always seemed to be wiggling its nose. I still see the halos around stuff at night time, guess that is permanent? I have floaters in my eyes also, sometimes I think I see something to the side that is not there, and it seems to move. Thankfully, that is all I can think of in that department.

I hope Starlight finds a forum that makes her happy.

Candi, I hope your osteoporosis improves; and that the skin cancers are gone for good.

I may have multiple health problems, but hopefully, I will prove that one idiot PA wrong and live to be at least 95. He claims that I wont make 75 with my health probs. Humph. Fooey on him. I am 58, so I have a ways to go until 95 .

Take care and God bless.

love,

Hooty

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center