Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Do i have epilepsy? "Febrile" seizures as baby, am now 26 and my son diagnosed w/ epilepsy
kylienikole86 posted:
My father had seizures as a child, until age 4-5. He was seizure free until his late 30's. He had an unexpected seizure and his dr put him on seizure medication. (i do not know much about what medicine or his diagnosis.) I had seizures as a baby and was diagnosed with febrile seizures. I was put on medication until age 4. (phenbuterol possibly?). My son started having seizures by age 1. He was diagnosed with febrile seizures until his 6th seizure. He had an EEG done and the dr found waves of epileptic nature in the left side of his brain. He was put on Triliptal. He only had one seizure after being put on medication. It was different than all seizures before. He looked like he was sleeping, i believe the dr called it a frontal seizure. The dosage on his meds was upped and he has not had one since then. My question is, since I've never had an EEG done, is it a possibility that I would have a form of epilepsy? I was diagnosed with ADD years ago. I have never been able to focus on much. My memory is terrible. I am very spacey and I often pause and stare into space, lost in thought. I've been on adderall for a year now, and it has helped, but is now no longer working for me. I have suffered with depression and moodiness for a few years now. I have taken many medications for it - lexapro, effexor, pristine, welbuterin - and nothing has really worked for me. They actually have made my mind feel more cloudy than before. Mainly, I feel like it is something more. I just feel like my mind can NEVER focus. I am in need of advice!!

dancer86442 responded:
Advice: Get another Opinion about the ADD diagnosis. You May or May Not have been Misdiagnosed. Then again, there Is a possibility you have Both. See a Neuro! Start a Journal for you & your son! (More Info under Tips) Keep educating yourself about Epilepsy & all it's aspects! Our Resources has 2 sites/links you should read. Epilepsy Faqs. Tell me if you have noted the symptoms of Any seizure Type. But, pay attn to Simple Partials. Also, chek out 'Questions for Doctor'.

How about a change in your diet? Visit epilepsytalk.com (no need to register to read articles. ) here are a few articles you can Search for there. Conditions Commonly Misdiagnosed. Brain Food for Your Health. 40 seizure Types/descriptions. Fighting Seizures Nutritionally. Three anti-seizure diets.

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated if you go for another opinion (or More) Or if you have any other questions/concerns about you or your child, let me know.

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 responded:
only 5% of ppl who have Febrile szs wind up with ep.

My mephew had them until he was 6 just this last year. HE wound up with ep. As soon as they took him off the Pheno he started having true szs.

That does NOT mean that you will.

My grand ma had them as a child as well but never had developed ep.

the well butrin is know to cause szs at a certain dosage. I was on it nad it did nothing but cause Migraines that would not stop. pristique can also cause szs as well. The package inserts and adds on TV tell you that.

But you need to talk to you Neurologist about those 2.

Depression sometimes goes side-by-side with EP.

You may need to find a different depression drug and then ride the med merry go round to see if one of those sz drugs or combo will work with the depression drug.

I only take sz drugs no depession drugs. I also have a VNS implant that wo rks VERY well and has cut back mpst of my szs.

WHen ep and depression occur tgether they are referred to as the "Black Dog". Don;t ask me why but they do.

I think you need to reevualted about the ADD Dx and get a second opinion from antoher doc. THey may have missed dx'd you and you have been taking all the wrong meds all along.

you need to have an EEG that is longer than the 30 minute ones. EIther the sleep-deprived or Being placed in an EMU (Epilepsy MOnitoring Unit) are the 2 best ones in my experiences. THe first two sleep-deprived EEGs turned up abnoramal The first one was bad enough but the seocnd one was even worse than the firs t.

Then in the EMU in 04 was inconclusive and then in 07 I had another EMU run and I had 2 staring szs and 3 major COmplex partials that all had to be stiopped with IV Ativan.

hula_dancer

VNS Rep

O'ahu--Honalulu--Hawi'i

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center