Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Walking around after a seizure
ruthiehut posted:
I'm new to this forum and I want to know if anyone has dealt with this situation. My husband is an epileptic and he had a seizure a couple of days ago. This was the first one I had witnessed, as his others had happened away from home. I knew what to do during the seizure, but something happened afterward that totally threw me and was quite scary. As he started to awaken, he got up and began to walk around. But he was still very confused and didn't respond to me at all. I was on the phone with a paramedic at the time, who told me it was not unusual and instructed me to try to get him to sit or lie down. But I couldn't. He didn't seem aware of me and he was too big and strong for me to try to control. He walked hard into the fireplace and then lurched around the room and I was afraid he would hurt himself. He finally managed to get into our bedroom and lie down, but he still kept wanting to get up. Fortunately, the paramedics came quickly, just as he was beginning to talk. But even they had trouble with him. He kept wanting to get up and leave and wouldn't lie down on the gurney to be transported outside. I have never read about this, nor has anyone ever told me it was a possibility. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to handle this situation if it happens again?

saxofone1 responded:
YOUR HUSBAND IS NOT AN EPILEPTIC!!!! HE HAS EPILEPSY. PERIOD.

Your husband sounds a lot like me. When I was seizure active, I would wander around following one. I was often unresponsive to people's questions. Then sometimes I would respond to directions. I don't think you should try to force him to lie down. If this should happen again, clear the area of anything he could trip over. Possibly guide, not force, him to an area of safety.

During the time that the emts were trying to lie him on the gurney, was he in a confused state? In my period of confusion, I would somehow walk my way to safety(home, bedroom, place of familiarity, etc).

What type of seizures does your husband have?

I don't understand what you mean by "lurch".

angie

hula_dancer73 responded:
I have never went walking after a sz but wandered 2 times on seperate occasions.

One time I got out of the house and went wandering in traffic down the raod 3 houses left my house door unlocked and hanging wide open.

Neighbor told me that.

Then on another occasion I wandered around in the dark in the house.

I never ever go/do anything with out my glasses on my face and I alwasy put them on to even go to the bathroom, but I did not put them on that time wandered down the hall in the dark smashed thru the bar chairs knocking one down then began to dance with my mom's cane that she was using becuase if her hip implant, was wandering by all teh china stuff and moved some of it out of place, then when she figered out what going on , she turned on t he lights and apparently I sqeezed in to a place that was too small for me and I got stuck.

Told this by my mom and the husband who was in the bed and turned over and I was not there.

But I can say that sometimes people wander around becuase they are dazed and confused and do not know what they are doing or where htey are at.

hula_dancer

JadedPhoenixBurning responded:
My husband has battled seizures for 27 years. In recent years, he'd developed new forms of the condition. Among them are that he wanders while in the seizure. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago he went into one while I was driving down the interstate and I had just gotten to the shoulder when he opened his car door up. He then began to walk on the interstate at rush hour for the next 20 minutes while I was trying to get him back into the car. So yes, walking seizures can be very scary.

If you are at home, don't try to force him to lie down since that just will likely get your husband irritated. Just as if he was convulsing, just make sure that he is safe. You may end up with a few items broken like a glass or something but if you can just keep an eye on him to keep him from tripping or something like that then he should be fine. The main thing is to not panic- unless he is in the middle of the road with a semi coming at him. THEN panic!

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center