Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
epilepsy meds and pregnancy
Anon_153941 posted:
Hi, My daughter (age 18) is about 14 wks pregnant and has been off her meds since she became pregnant (she did this without drs advice)
and now she is having seizures becoming more severe that yesterday she ended up hospitalized and her neurologist is putting her on iv seizure meds and giving her lamictal to take. Since she is in her 2nd trimester, he says the risks are lower and that her seizures are a
higher risk for her and her baby's health. Can anyone tell me about
Lamictal and if they have taken it during pregnancy and had a normal
pregnancy or if there were birth defects??? THanks for any info on this
drug.

hootyowl2 responded:
Hi Anon,

I would agree with the doctor here. I do not personally know about the meds and pregnancy, but seizures can kill you, especially the grand mal types. My one DIL lost a sister to a first grand mal in her sleep. The sister was about 20 when it happened to her the first and only time. A boy I knew as a child also died of a grand mal seizure, they are very serious.

I hope all is well with your daughter and your grandbaby, that it will be healthy when born.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/search.aspx?stype=drug&source=1&query=lamictal this has other links for information that may be helpful for you and your daughter.

Hooty

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center