Question re a friend's child and possible seizures
hootyowl2 posted:
Friends of mine have a lovely 9 year old daughter. Today at church, I noticed she was having a lot of involuntary twitching and muscle movements that looked like seizure activity to me. Her face, head, and shoulders were jerking around a lot. I am not a doctor, but I did mention it to another friend who is a nurse. She said she would try to keep an eye on the girl when she can and see what she thought. She was not sitting where she could see the child. I also mentioned it to my friend who is the mother, and she thinks it is just "mannerisms" and is trying to get her to stop them. I encouraged her to keep an eye on the child, and that they could easily be seizures of some kind and she may need to take her to a doctor. I had my seizures for years before I knew what they were because they were not the typical grand mals that everyone knows.

Do you guys think they are seizures too? My friends do not go to doctors very much, so convincing them could be difficult.

Hooty

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Hooty,

From what you have shared, certainly sounds like a strong possibility of a seizure disorder. Wow, "mannerisms", I never heard that one before.

I feel you did the right thing in mentioning it to your friends. Now, it is the hands of the child's parents to seek answers. You've done about all that you can do. You spoke up and brought it their attention. I have a feeling that you will be keeping on the alert in regards to this child. Even from a distance.

Parents can be a problem sometimes. They feel they know their child better than any one else. In some areas this might be true. "No, my child isn't like that, no my son/daughter doesn't have....".

Thanks for being on the alert. Take care.
angie

BlazingTiger responded:
From what you are explaining it definitly sounds like a seizure to me. do what it take to get them to take her to the doctor. it is very vital.

Jason

hula_dancer73 replied to BlazingTiger's response:
I agree with them.

I had serious bizarre behaviour that started before I went to K-G. Then the behaviour got worse and more bizarre. IT was EP all along and NO ONE picked up on it EVER!

The bizarre behaviour was TLE un dx'd. All the way thru grade school, MS HS and college until I had a car accident. Then I went to my pcp and he referred me to a neurologist becuase that accident was caused by a black out.

I had tests run of just about every type and came up with EP. somoen besides my mother and husband caught on in '03.

They told my mom to watch my behaviour and she did.

got a neuro and had one , then 2, then the 3rd one that I ahve had for 6 years. The dx was TLE and was TLE then as wel.

I ahd my first sz 8 months later.

be care ful in what you say toher parents they may ake your cancern as an insllut so be careful.

I live in Hi so I can not pyshically help you help them. I would love to but can only do it this way for you.

Hula _dancer

hootyowl2 replied to hula_dancer73's response:
I am trying to be careful how I say it, because the child is theirs and not mine. Even so, it is worrisome. I asked my DIL to gently tell them about her sis who died from a seizure in her sleep.

I had seizures for years before I found out what they were also. Most people tend to think of a grand mal seizure as the only kind of seizure. I know I did, though I had heard of petit mals and the absence kind of seizures. My mom is a registered nurse, and did not consider my daydreaming and not speaking to people as seizures either. It never entered her head; also I had a number of head injuries even as a child and never mentioned them to her. I never thought much of them, but looking back I probably have had at least 10 concussions, maybe a minor skull fracture or two also.

I just hope they will seek professional help for her soon.

Hooty

saxofone1 replied to hootyowl2's response:
Hi Hooty,

I think you're doing great, and handling this with true concern for the child and respect for the parents.

I'm sure it's hard to watch. Not being able to come forward for fear of hurting others must be difficult too. Maybe one day the opening that you're looking for will be there.

Wow, with the rough childhood you've had, sounds like you're doing great.

We all understand your concerns and hope that help is on the way. Have a good weekend.

angie

EEM38 responded:
I had the exact opposite thing happen - I knew there was something wrong with my son. I took him to a doctor, who basically laughed at me and told me I had a fine healthy boy who most definitely did not have epilepsy.

Two days later my son went into status and was unconscious for 6 hours.

Sometimes, just sometimes as parents, the truth hurts too much for us to believe it - I was the last person who wanted her son labelled, but for his benefit I went to the very person who should have listened to me but who sadly didn't.

Fortunately my son is okay and his epilepsy is in actual fact idiopathic, although we are having some med issues at present following a period of stability. I wish sometimes doctors would take this sort of thing more seriously.

I hope your friends daughter is okay and gets the treatment most applicable to her.

EEM38

BlazingTiger replied to EEM38's response:
I have had the very same thing happen to me. Although it was not related to EP. I had taken my son to a clinic at the hospital.within a year after he was born he had RSV. The Dr. told me there was nothing wrong. Forgot to mention he was an intern. Well as a parent I knew my instincts were right. Dead on as a matter of fact. I challenged him on it. knowing my sons condition & he knew as much as I did about it. I demanded to have a MD check him. My suspicions were confirmed he had severe bronchitis with RSV. He was imidiatly admitted to the hospital. I knew if we listened to the intern we would be watching my son die in front of us. Just then the MD turned to me and asked me if I wanted to sign up for med school with them. I turned him down. So EEM38 I do somewhat know where you are coming from.

Jason